Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eminem Vs Big L

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny how a lot of people are saying Eminem's voice is annoying or that his music 'isn't timeless'.

I'm still listening to 'Infinite' 16 years later.

'The Slim Shady LP' is nearly 13 years old and I'm still listening to that, too.

'The Marshall Mathers LP' is almost 12 years old and it's still an ATG hip hop album. Still listening.

And so on and so on. Sure - 'Encore' and 'Relapse' sucked balls, but 'Recovery' is an ATG album, and the **** he did with Royce on the 'Bad Meets Evil' album more than make up for those two duds.

Odds are I'll still be listening to them a decade from now too.

Comment

• Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
      what's a persons skin colour or race/nationality got to do with their knowledge of hip-hop?
      DTMB is one who brought it up. I figured since he wants to be ignorant about my race, I'll do the same to his.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        Funny how a lot of people are saying Eminem's voice is annoying or that his music 'isn't timeless'.

I'm still listening to 'Infinite' 16 years later.

'The Slim Shady LP' is nearly 13 years old and I'm still listening to that, too.

'The Marshall Mathers LP' is almost 12 years old and it's still an ATG hip hop album. Still listening.

And so on and so on. Sure - 'Encore' and 'Relapse' sucked balls, but 'Recovery' is an ATG album, and the **** he did with Royce on the 'Bad Meets Evil' album more than make up for those two duds.

Odds are I'll still be listening to them a decade from now too.
        Recovery is a decent album and much better than Encore & Relapse IMO but in no way is it an ATG album. The **** he did with Royce, save a few tracks here and there, was corny IMO but it was good to hear them going back and forth again. It's nothing on their earlier ****.

On a whole Eminem's music just doesn't age that well. It's just simple. You can still listen to it but it doesn't strike you like it did originally.

I mean there's only so much you can talk about killing your mom/ex-wife, etc.

With that said, MMLP was his best album followed by Eminem Show for me. I say those are the two Eminem joints that will stand the test of time.

Comment

• @ 2:03

@ 0:34

Comment

• Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
            Recovery is a decent album and much better than Encore & Relapse IMO but in no way is it an ATG album. The **** he did with Royce, save a few tracks here and there, was corny IMO but it was good to hear them going back and forth again. It's nothing on their earlier ****.

On a whole Eminem's music just doesn't age that well. It's just simple. You can still listen to it but it doesn't strike you like it did originally.

I mean there's only so much you can talk about killing your mom/ex-wife, etc.

With that said, MMLP was his best album followed by Eminem Show for me. I say those are the two Eminem joints that will stand the test of time.
            The bolded is just your opinion. It varies individually, but most of his stuff still hits me like it originally did.

Say what you want about Kim's influence on some of his earlier stuff (and even that is overexaggerated), but 'Kim' is still one of the sickest breakup songs ever recorded - Lyrically and otherwise. Any dude who has been done dirty by a chick can relate.

I would agree with your choice for his two best albums, though. But I disagree about the **** he did with Royce - Lyrically they're ****ting on everything everybody else is doing today. They could go back and forth about which one has the bigger d*ck and it'd be 4 minutes of lyrical bliss.

Comment

• Originally posted by res View Post
              Nobody cares about how successful he is but he is overrated.

I don't mind the status of a guy like 50 cent because nobody confuses his success with his talent . Not that i'm comparing Jay to 50 Cent talentwise, but my point is that a real Hip Hop fan who's a non hater doesn't care about how much money you have, however they do care if something/someone get's more hype than it deserves. It's about keeping the artistic record straight.

American Gangster was overrated and not on the level of Reasonable Doubt. But hey it was a different time and the standard was lower. Jay was trying to compete with Biggie in the 90's when RD was put out there..
              i can’t see how you can be overrated when you have done absolutely everything there is to do in the rap game. Theres not one thing Jay can’t do or hasn’t done. I can understand people liking biggie or nas more then him but he should always be mentioned in the top 5.
              Last edited by pturtle; 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Eminem music has aged terribly, especially his earlier albums. Majority of his first 3 or 4 albums consisted of the same subject matter...dissing pop groups, song about his wife, complaining about his mother & song about his daughter. He showed no growth as a MC, plus Encore & Relapse where straight to recycle bin albums, Recovery wasn't too much better neither.

Big L was a 1 dimensional MC on Lifestylez Ov da Poor & Dangerous, but crafted a very good album, when he was recording The Big Picture....you can tell he evolved as an MC, he wasn't just about punchlines, he was creating creative songs (I.E Ebonics) & brilliant story telling raps (I.E The Heist & Casualties of a Dice Game). Sadly we couldn't see the full potential of how much he evolved as a MC...passing away half way through recording Big Picture...but there signs where there that he wasn't just a punchline MC anymore.

so Big L for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                  The bolded is just your opinion. It varies individually, but most of his stuff still hits me like it originally did.

Say what you want about Kim's influence on some of his earlier stuff (and even that is overexaggerated), but 'Kim' is still one of the sickest breakup songs ever recorded - Lyrically and otherwise. Any dude who has been done dirty by a chick can relate.

I would agree with your choice for his two best albums, though. But I disagree about the **** he did with Royce - Lyrically they're ****ting on everything everybody else is doing today. They could go back and forth about which one has the bigger d*ck and it'd be 4 minutes of lyrical bliss.
                  Yeah I did mean to state that it was all IMO of course. Not stating it as fact (the bit you bolded up).

I just can't agree on the Royce thing. I just find him really corny. His delivery and wordplay (think that's the right word) is fine; it's just the content matter that I find corny.

Comment

• Lets all be real here though people Lloyd Banks is the best young rapper right now, if you don’t believe that then you haven’t heard his new stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by pturtle View Post
                      Lets all be real here though people Lloyd Banks is the best young rapper right now, if you don’t believe that then you haven’t heard his new stuff

you gotta go. thats enough

Comment

Working...
                      X