Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Mass Effect 3 was a HUGE dissapointment.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Mass Effect 3 was a HUGE dissapointment.

A little late to the party here, but there are a few things I need to get off my chest, beware there are spoilers for the whole series.

While Mass Effect 3 in and of itself was a great game, the ending to the game and series, really 100% deserves all the contempt that has been poured on it.

I spent a total of around 200 hours on those three games over 5 years, weeks upon weeks of playtime. I role-played as Shepard, I carefully considered every choice I made, I scoured the galaxy looking for every sidequest I could find, developed Sheperds relationships and friendships.

You spend enough time with NPC's and they become a part of you, such is the power of good storytelling. When you get attatched to those characters you feel they deserve better than they got.

My shepard was a guy who had no family, he had been in warzones all his life, but still he fought to do the right thing. He never got any happiness apart from when he was with his buddies on the Normandy.

Makes friends, gets a lover in Ashley, gets killed, gets resurrected, ashley now hates him, gets a lover in tali, gets put in prison, rehooks up with tali, saves the galaxy, DIES AGAIN.

I mean what a life really.

And the thing is, people say "not every story has a happy ending" But if it's a story where your actions are supposed to have consiquences, there SHOULD be an option for a happy ending

And the story was dark enough anyway without having to arrive at that ending

Many of shepards friends are dead, his family died long ago and his lived his whole life in a warzone, he deserved a goddamn happy ending

But no, we gotta mug off Deus Ex.

Really a disgusting traversty in my opinion.

Anyway Mass Effect series 9/10, ending gets 1/10

They made a lot of missteps besides the ending as well. They made so much of what happens in the first 2 games meaningless. All these choices from 1 and 2 we expected to have an impact on the game meant nothing.

And the ending was just so bad. Even with the extended cut it was still bad. It's not even about the happy ending, the whole existence of the starkid is such a stupid, senseless, series killing idea. In the span of five minutes they made the plot of ME1 make no sense, turned the terrifying villains into weak puppets, and introduced magic without explanation and expected people to be okay with it.
    Last edited by bojangles1987; 08-07-2013, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      They made a lot of missteps besides the ending as well. They made so much of what happens in the first 2 games meaningless. All these choices from 1 and 2 we expected to have an impact on the game meant nothing.

And the ending was just so bad. Even with the extended cut it was still bad. It's not even about the happy ending, the whole existence of the starkid is such a stupid, senseless, series killing idea. In the span of five minutes they made the plot of ME1 make no sense, turned the terrifying villains into weak puppets, and introduced magic without explanation and expected people to be okay with it.
      I agree entirely.

I could have forgiven the poor exposition if the characters got the send off they deserved.

In my mind the game really ends after the citadel DLC, since I romanced Liara actually all through the series, i did citadel before the final battle, there is a bit where Liara comes to just study at your apartment, and the mass effect overture is playing on the piano, it's just a nice end right there, **** what comes after.

Comment

Working...
      X