Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Margarito considering a Clottey fight and ignoring Williams?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea but first off Clottey is hurt. Second Clottey expressed his eagerness to fight Berto.

Margarito has already beaten Clottey and why would anyone wanna see this again? Both fighters have stuck to thier same fighting method since 2006 , I dont see anything changing in the outcome.

I would like to see Paul Williams again because he has beaten Tony, Tony is the #1 ranked welter in the eyes of many, including HBO.

Paul Williams beat the #1 ranked welter and is ready and available to do it again, why not try to avenge your loss?

The fight would be exciting no doubt, alot more excititng than a Joshua Clottey.

Comment

Originally posted by El 7 Mares View Post
      Let me tell you why.

Joshua Clottey just fought a main event against the former WW Champion, Zab Judah on HBO and won. He is on a winning streak and hasn't lost a fight since Tony Margarito in '06.

Paul Williams' last two fights were on Showtime. Neither of which was the main event. He lost the first one, with a horrible showing, and didn't show much in the rematch, which could be considered a fluke, with Quintana not being properly warmed up.

If Williams wants to raise his value, he needs to seek a 3rd fight with Quintana or a slugfest against Kermit Cintron. This fight needs to happen on HBO, preferibly on a doubleheader with Tony vs Clottey. Then maybe if he wins, a fight with Tony would be more sellable to the general public.
      this guy is making margarito fans look bad

Comment

Originally posted by MaYaN_SuN View Post
        lol True..But I don't even think Mayweather could have gotten by Cotto with the momentum(sp) Miguel had. Miguel punches are short and hard, they would have turned that shoulder D into shredded pork, especially at the torso.

Mayweather knew exactly what he was doin in avoiding Cotto.

If Mayweather had any heart, he would have takin Cotto after the Judah and Mosley wins.

He would have inserted himself for a big paycheck and a big fight.
        If Cotto had any heart he would have expressed interest in fighting Mayweather.

You can't show me a single offer Arum made for a Cotto/Floyd fight.

Whenever asked by Kellerman or Merchant COTTO NEVER SAID FLOYD'S NAME.

Oh sure he talked PLENTY **** to the latino newpapers...but nutted-up during post-fight interviews.

Don't give me that "Cotto is too much of a gentleman to call out fighters" bull****.

You don't have to be rude about calling a guy out..it could be done with class.

You can't avoid somebody that doesn't want to fight you.

Floyd has faced big punchers his entire career..Cotto's overrated power was NOTHING for him to be afraid of.

Comment

Thats because its Viva Mexico or Shalafi 1 or the other since the bans

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_Barracuda View Post
            If Cotto had any heart he would have expressed interest in fighting Mayweather.

You can't show me a single offer Arum made for a Cotto/Floyd fight.

Whenever asked by Kellerman or Merchant COTTO NEVER SAID FLOYD'S NAME.

Oh sure he talked PLENTY **** to the latino newpapers...but nutted-up during post-fight interviews.

Don't give me that "Cotto is too much of a gentleman to call out fighters" bull****.

You don't have to be rude about calling a guy out..it could be done with class.

You can't avoid somebody that doesn't want to fight you.

Floyd has faced big punchers his entire career..Cotto's overrated power was NOTHING for him to be afraid of.
            Yes it was, It was everything

ANy other comments or concerns Mr Mayweather Jr?

Comment

Let me tell you why.

Joshua Clottey just fought a main event against the former WW Champion, Zab Judah on HBO and won. He is on a winning streak and hasn't lost a fight since Tony Margarito in '06.

Paul Williams' last two fights were on Showtime. Neither of which was the main event. He lost the first one, with a horrible showing, and didn't show much in the rematch, which could be considered a fluke, with Quintana not being properly warmed up.

If Williams wants to raise his value, he needs to seek a 3rd fight with Quintana or a slugfest against Kermit Cintron. This fight needs to happen on HBO, preferibly on a doubleheader with Tony vs Clottey. Then maybe if he wins, a fight with Tony would be more sellable to the general public.
              no...

it could be that MAYBE margarito is becoming the new floyd mayweather jr of the division...only willing to fight ALMOST the best...rather than THEE best.

if i were antonio margarito i'd be seeking fights with top welter's or someone who beat me who could prevent me from being seen as THEE BEST in the division (ie. paul williams; whether he beat quintana or not the first time).

If im margarito I could call out the best like floyd mayweather jr (i dont want to hear retired BS...i think he comes back for the right money he's only what 30? 31?) or maybe an oscar de la hoya (who fought mayweather closley through 12 rounds)...

or a cotto rematch (i had it even after 10; it was a good close fight and in the first 6 rounds it appeared to be a fight that margarito could lose)...so it wasnt one sided...

OR the williams rematch.

those right there are ALL FIGHTS that should happen before clottey or judah.

if margarito wants to take one as a tune-up on regular HBO (in a double header featuring whatever his opponent will be) then thats fine if he uses clottey or judah as the tune-up fighter...but for a major PPV event margarito fighting clottey or judah just isnt worth the $50.

plain and simple.

i'd pay $50 to see margarito rematch cotto; fight floyd; fight oscar; or rematch williams...but i wont pay it for him to take a $50 PPV fight with someone that he will easily outclass.

Comment

Originally posted by fightingfigs View Post
                Yea but first off Clottey is hurt. Second Clottey expressed his eagerness to fight Berto.

Margarito has already beaten Clottey and why would anyone wanna see this again? Both fighters have stuck to thier same fighting method since 2006 , I dont see anything changing in the outcome.

I would like to see Paul Williams again because he has beaten Tony, Tony is the #1 ranked welter in the eyes of many, including HBO.

Paul Williams beat the #1 ranked welter and is ready and available to do it again, why not try to avenge your loss?
                The fight would be exciting no doubt, alot more excititng than a Joshua Clottey.
                On the surface that seems like a real easy concept but for some reason a lot of people just can't grasp it
                Margarito does deserve a good payday, he's paid his dues in the WW division and I have no problem with him fighting ODLH for some millions but if that fight doesn't go through (which it doesn't appear to be) then the only fight that matters at WW is MArgo Williams 2

people need to stop crying about a quintana rematch, he obvioulsy isn't... since being demolished he's been taking a sabbatical

Comment

Let me tell you why.

A Clottey fight isn't all that bad, but he has that bicep injury and who knows how long he will be out for. The thing is there is that Williams fight out there right now for Marge and also his biggest payday. I don't blame him for milking the Cotto victory and try to get paydays, but what gets me is the hypocricy of the Margarito fans. Now all of a sudden Williams needs to make himself sellable to the general public. Isn't that what they used to rip on Mayweather for constantly for not fighting the best and going for paydays. The fight with Williams is already sellable to the public and that's because Williams already beat Margarito once. Who wouldn't want to see the two best WW's go at it and decide really who the best WW in the world is. Unless your worried the Tijuana Tornado will get derailed again.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Italian View Post
                    no...

it could be that MAYBE margarito is becoming the new floyd mayweather jr of the division...only willing to fight ALMOST the best...rather than THEE best.

if i were antonio margarito i'd be seeking fights with top welter's or someone who beat me who could prevent me from being seen as THEE BEST in the division (ie. paul williams; whether he beat quintana or not the first time).

If im margarito I could call out the best like floyd mayweather jr (i dont want to hear retired BS...i think he comes back for the right money he's only what 30? 31?) or maybe an oscar de la hoya (who fought mayweather closley through 12 rounds)...

or a cotto rematch (i had it even after 10; it was a good close fight and in the first 6 rounds it appeared to be a fight that margarito could lose)...so it wasnt one sided...

OR the williams rematch.

those right there are ALL FIGHTS that should happen before clottey or judah.

if margarito wants to take one as a tune-up on regular HBO (in a double header featuring whatever his opponent will be) then thats fine if he uses clottey or judah as the tune-up fighter...but for a major PPV event margarito fighting clottey or judah just isnt worth the $50.

plain and simple.

i'd pay $50 to see margarito rematch cotto; fight floyd; fight oscar; or rematch williams...but i wont pay it for him to take a $50 PPV fight with someone that he will easily outclass.
                    Floyd fought the best at 154.

That's better than the best at 147..Especially when you consider who the "best" was supposed to be.

Oscar at 154 would stomp the **** outta' Cotto and Marge.

Comment

Originally posted by bad_barracuda View Post
                      floyd Fought The Best At 154.

That's Better Than The Best At 147..especially When You Consider Who The "best" Was Supposed To Be.

oscar At 154 Would Stomp The **** Outta' Cotto And Marge.
                      Lol..........................

Comment

Working...
                      X