No announcement yet.

So I've been summoned for jury duty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    I haven't decided if I want to attempt to serve on the jury or make an effort to get pinged by the defense lawyer yet.

On the one hand, it's a pretty unique civic experience that, if selected, I take very seriously.

But on the other hand, if I get picked to serve I'll end up having to spend at least a week or two conversating with (and pretending to like) my fellow jurors which, given my location, will most likely consist of Bible thumping conservative rednecks who think that Obama is the antichrist and abortion is murder.

Furthermore - The compensation. 30 bucks a day? Really? I mean, I don't expect them to pay me what my actual job pays me, but couldn't they at least make it minimum wage, FFS?
    My boss was called to Jury Duty and his trial last 3.5 months, im not even exaggerating. The case was also about some guy who ran from the cops on his bike and had a knife on him. after 3.5 months the guy was found guilty of evading police and given probation. What a fcuking waste of taxer payer money. It must have cost millions for that trial

Lawyers want simple minded people who are easy to sway. Strong opinionated people are the ones they avoid. i was called for a murder trial and when i was being interviewed by the judge and lawyers i said "i can spot a criminal from a mile away". Got released 3 mins later
    Last edited by Russian Crushin; 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I got summoned once and showed up in shorts and a t-shirt. Out of about 30 people, I was the only one in casual clothes. The judge lambasted me and told me to get out and not come back to his court again dressed like that. Said he hold me in contempt. I was dismissed though and haven't been summoned since.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        I'm to report to the Sheriff's office for registration tomorrow, and the trial starts February 27th.

Anybody here have experience with it in the past?
        Just ignore them. They have all these threats on them, but they can't prove that you actually received it, so its all just threats.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
          I got summoned once and showed up in shorts and a t-shirt. Out of about 30 people, I was the only one in casual clothes. The judge lambasted me and told me to get out and not come back to his court again dressed like that. Said he hold me in contempt. I was dismissed though and haven't been summoned since.
          I'd be like WTF.......... i didn't want to be here i was forced........ LOL

Comment

I haven't been, I don't want to go, because I keep thinking it's going to be like 12 Angry Men, so I know I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

When I notice women are there..

Comment

I had to go December 6th, I skipped it lol. That was my first time too. Well it was supposed to be. I had school that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                My boss was called to Jury Duty and his trial last 3.5 months, im not even exaggerating. The case was also about some guy who ran from the cops on his bike and had a knife on him. after 3.5 months the guy was found guilty of evading police and given probation. What a fcuking waste of taxer payer money. It must have cost millions for that trial

Lawyers want simple minded people who are easy to sway. Strong opinionated people are the ones they avoid. i was called for a murder trial and when i was being interviewed by the judge and lawyers i said "i can spot a criminal from a mile away". Got released 3 mins later
                Exactly. It's my understanding that the defense attorney is looking for unopinionated "blank slates".

Which is why I think I'll be given the boot even if I'm not attempting to get booted. I'm a very vocal and highly opinionated individual, as most of you ****ers already know.

So if I decide that the responsibility of serving on a jury is something I want to pursue I'm really going to have to dumb myself down in order to make it through the selection process, because if I answer honestly I'll be thrown out of there with the first batch.

I'm going to go down for registration tomorrow. I want in on the process, I just haven't decided whether I want in on the jury or not yet, and I have a month to decide whether to make an effort to be selected by appearing stupid and naive, or whether to go all out and get kicked out in exciting fashion.

Comment

Never have...never will..its not like they fine you anyways.

Comment

Just finish every sentence you say with "white power"

Comment

depends on how you present yourself to the prosecutor and defense attorney. if you seem inexperienced answering their questions and are a first timer then yup, they'll both want you on board. barring ridiculously extreme answers, whether you'll be kept or let go is anybody's guess. you don't want to make a good case for either of them to keep you.

Comment

Working...
                      X