No announcement yet.

Your views on karate/taekwondo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    Someone said spinning back kicks are useless. This proves otherwise.

Not false advertising. As it was obviously full contact and nothing held back.

That is exactly how it would be used in a street fight.
    The spinning kicks in Tea kwon Do are specifically used mostly as counters to an opponents KICK.... try one as a counter to a straight punch, and you will bleed instantly. Say he has in the process of kicking with his rear right with a roundhouse low to the body, the spinning (jumping) high kick with your left leg to his head will be perfect........ but only a master will have the speed and TIMING and perfect judgement to pull it off, mr. Kim was brilliant with those. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- One more thing to remember, the spin back kick, (not a round kick, shoots straight for the pit of the stomach hard enough and fight over) has been an underused but proven method of taking the fight out of a tough guy, Anyone remember Kazushi Sakuraba ???..................... well go and watch what he does to Belfort with two back kicks,..... after that second one, there was true fear on Vitors face.

Comment

Originally posted by project xxx1 View Post
      dont know too much about kyokushin karate but ill find out about it,by the sounds of it,its full contact and hard sparring involved
      Dolph Lundgren was once a bouncer in Sydney,...... he was also one of the top Kyokushin fighters in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        Dolph Lundgren was once a bouncer in Sydney,...... he was also one of the top Kyokushin fighters in Australia.
        Or should I have said Ivan Drago.... lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
          Alll the best MMA fighters use Wrestling and Boxing in that order.

A Karate man will never be MMA champion.
          Lyoto Machida and GSP disagree with you.

Comment

All the best MMA fighters are real martial artists. Not a collegiate wrestler or former pro boxer.

Anderson Silva: Taekwondo base, Muay thai, Boxing, Capoeria
            Lyoto Machida: Shotokan Karate
            GSP: Kyokushin Karate base
            BJ Penn: Brazilian Jujutsu (not mma bjj)
            Fedor(prime): Sambo
            Bas Rutten: Taekwondo base, Muay thai
            Ben Henderson: Taekwondo base, freestyle wrestler, bjj
            Anthony Pettis: Taekwondo base

Need I go on?
            I agree, I love it when those guys ( and of course Sakuraba ),, beat the crap out of those puffed up college types, remember Sakuraba taking out The much bigger Randleman ???,.. could have snapped that foot off.

Comment

Martial arts are for faggots who can't box. True story.

Out of all those gay "disciplines" combinated, only two or three have any real life application in a street fighting scenario, and even those you can't pull off without having to seriously question your own sexual identity. Whereas boxing works just as well on the street as it does in the ring, and without having to question your sexual identity, either.
              Last edited by ßringer; 11-04-2011, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Even the "showtime kick" is a Taekwondo technique. Everyone was going "OMFG what was that?! Amazing!! LOLROKZORS!! Showtime Kick! Matrix Kick!" foaming out the mouth.

I looked and went "Oh? He used the taekwondo kick. good shit."
                So did I,.... they don't use enough of them, especially if the other guy is back-peddling.

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice
                  lol, when i said 'im sure hes done everything under the sun,' i mean it as in im sure that if theres full contact sparring in karate, he must have done it. he would have done all the training methods, not every single technique. not that hes done every single thing there possibly is in karate. that would be silly. i thought what i meant was obvious but it seems i didnt make it clear. i know you dont stop at black belt. hes been a black belt for a couple years now.

so theres full contact sparring, but just look at those videos i posted of karate WORLD CHAMPS competing, i would not call that full contact. its 'full contact' insofar as they may connect with some strikes, but they also hold back their punches and kicks too.
                  of course im not thinking they are going to ask someone in the street to reset. the point im trying to make is if you are sparring day in day out in a manner where your opponent is reacting to strikes as he thinks it should happen, under their super human view of karate strikes, you are going to get used to that, and expect people to react in a very similar manner.
                  for the record, as far as i know his trainer/sensei is legit. pretty much all he does is run the dojo and put all the money he gets back into it. hes trained for years in japan.

mcgoorty - nice post. there you go - skinheads with no training < dudes with some martial arts training. i knew some mates who lived in blackpool. werent really fighters but ive heard some stories about the place, redfern too.
                  i know a bit about bob fitz. he was the gentleman boxer etc. i need to do some more reading on him if you know any good books, preferable downloadable? you know, im not the kind of guy who goes around looking for fights, only if it comes my way. at my former gym if my trainer ever heard about you being in a streetfight i have a feeling hed tell you to get lost in some harsher words. the gyms ive been to have a pretty similar etiquette as far as i can tell. this was a point my flatmate was making too in regards to discipline - karate fighters getting into less streetfights than boxers. i would say on the whole thats true, but in karate they teach that whole 'view' to people from the get go, unlike boxing. plus those 'boxers' getting into streetfights i wouldnt really call boxers so much. they mightve done it for a few weeks or a month or 2, but they wont be anywhere in 10 years. i know about wannabe fighters thinking theyre the ***** come into the gym, someone will handle them good and you wont see them again.

project xxx1 - interesting post. backs up what i thought would happen.
                  ive seen tkd people kick and im sure that if they landed good theyd do solid damage. just like any punch or kick, if it hits you right its going to do damage. but hitting the target is the main problem. its not so hard to dodge the kicks and once they do it takes a comparatively long time to reset yourself, a little step inside and whack em with a few good punches. like sqealpiggy said, starting with kicks, ending with punches. im not saying its useless though, far from it.

bozz/flicker - at the end of the day, IMO, its a lot about the individual but if it were possible i believe if you had an average joe in karate/TKD and an average joe in boxing and pitted them against each other the boxer would win almost always as hes battled tested and would have learned a more complete fighting technique etc.
                  seriously those leg kicks dont seem too impressive to me, its not hard to lift/shift ur leg and as i said once you kick youre wide open.
                  of course if youre a boxer in a street fight no ones there to stop the clinch, and you wouldnt be limited to throwing punches, youd be doing everything you can. you can throw a great elbow by simply throwing a hook and bringing in your fist close to your chest.

flicker in regards to the boxer/street fight thing i woudlnt say zab is known for his KO power, ive watched a few of his fights and hes more of a slick/tricky counterpuncher to me. 28 KOS to 41 fights. not a bad ratio at all, not featherfisted but not a devastating puncher either. i had not heard about this craps game deal, but i mean theres so many variables that coulda happened there, neither of us knows the real story. if zab could load up on a dude and sucker punch him im sure if not at least knocking him out, hed knock him down or make him wobbly. if i had to pick zab vs bruce lee i would pick zab for reasons ive mentioned already. from everything ive read and everything ive seen lee seems like more of an actor than a true fighter willing to test himself ('he didnt agree with competition's blady blady blah, convenient). he told reporters in hong kong he sold all his trophies he won in america when he in fact never competed. if zabs gonna fight him, or a martial artist where they know theyre fighting using groin kicks/eye gouges and other such tactics, theyre free to reciprocate.

anyway, i dont intend to offend with what im saying about lee or anything else. feel free to agree to disagree with anything i say as right now im not feeling spirited enough to really debate this.
                  Seriously my friend, leg kicks will wipe out anyone if the guy knows what he's doing... Ernesto hoost & Maurice Smith.... rest my case... -------------------------------------------------- Fitzsimmons, yeah mate try this link to my thread,..http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=514213

Comment

It is great for street self defence, I knew a karate black belt with training in tkd who doesnt like fighitng but hospitalized a guy who tried fighting him. It does help for self defence

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                      Lyoto Machida and GSP disagree with you.
                      GSP is not just a karate man..

What because he trained it after getting bullied as a kid??

He also trained Boxing, BJJ, Wrestling before he got into MMA.. and those 3 make up the bulk of what makes him such a good fighter. Karate helped especially mentally and with discipline

It's not totally useless but it's not nearly as effective as the 3 other mma mentioned..

You won't see a Karate guy with limited training in other areas go out and win gold.. Wrestlers have already done it

Comment

Working...
                      X