No announcement yet.

Box three days a week, run 5?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box three days a week, run 5?

to get in shape for fights. my schedule only allows me to go gym 3 times a week cuz of work. but the days i do work and wont go gym, i will be running. So i would box 3 times a week and be running 5 days out of the week. is that a good regiment for fight trainin? and i got 2 months to lose 12 pounds. im not overweight or anything. in pretty good shape but still got some un necessary **** on my body that i could lose. dont know my body fat percent or anything. any feedback is koo. appreciate it.

running lots will help keep the weight down. i'd rather spend more time in the gym but if you can't i'd also do some shadowboxing and maybe plyometrics at home on the days when you can't go to gym

Comment

I assume that this is an amatuer bout that your working towards. If it is then you will be fine. I would rather hear that your in the gym 5 days a week rather than only 3 but it can still work out good for you.

Everytime that your in the gym make sure that you get some rounds of sparring in, gotta keep those eyes sharp man.

Also, on the days that your not in the gym try to get some time in just shadow boxing and working those muscles. Ofcourse work the technical aspect but just keep those muscles working. Lay off on sunday and start it up again, ya know.

With losing 16 lbs or whatever, just work hard when your in the gym and run hard when your not. Dont go about the dehydration method of drying out and such, it will or could be your down fall in the ring for the fight. Just wear clothes that will make you sweat good, work hard and then be sure to rehydrate yourself afterwards. Water is a natural fat burner, keeping yourself dehydrated through training will actually slow down the fat burning process and limit your positive affects during training.

Most of the times for amatuer fights you will weigh in with out even knowing who your going to throw with. So I say work hard and come in at a fairly natural weight so that you will be strong for the fight.

To many people have to many loses on their records because of trying to lose weight. Remember that these are not pro fights, you dont have 24 hours to replenish your body with what it needs (and sometimes 24 hrs isnt even enough time). In the amatuers you may have 3-4 hours to replenish maybe less if your one of the first few bouts.

Good luck though. Concentrate more on your skill and then fight and less on losing weight. Come in natural and you will have all of the strength that you'll need to pull out the fight..........Rockin'

Comment

lol i box five days a week and run three

Comment

Originally posted by peewee1460 View Post
          lol i box five days a week and run three
          Same here.

I'm not training as a runner, I'm training as a boxer. Hard sparring sessions, plenty of bag/pad work, shadowboxing and skipping five (sometimes six) times per week and running only three days (one day for distance, one day sprints and one day mixing it up) has gotten me plenty of cardio even with a messed up nose I can't breathe very well through (can't breathe through nose properly = not enough air = you get tired faster).

I'm sure some people will disagree and say that you should be running every day, and that's fine. Everyone should do what they feel is best for them, as long as you have the cardio you need.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottDBA View Post
            Same here.

I'm not training as a runner, I'm training as a boxer. Hard sparring sessions, plenty of bag/pad work, shadowboxing and skipping five (sometimes six) times per week and running only three days (one day for distance, one day sprints and one day mixing it up) has gotten me plenty of cardio even with a messed up nose I can't breathe very well through (can't breathe through nose properly = not enough air = you get tired faster).

I'm sure some people will disagree and say that you should be running every day, and that's fine. Everyone should do what they feel is best for them, as long as you have the cardio you need.
            Hilmer Kenty told me that he used to run 2 miles a day. Imsure that he had his days off though through the week.

Think about it, a 15 round world champion fighter running 2 miles per day.

Yup, do what makes you feel best...........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              I assume that this is an amatuer bout that your working towards. If it is then you will be fine. I would rather hear that your in the gym 5 days a week rather than only 3 but it can still work out good for you.

Everytime that your in the gym make sure that you get some rounds of sparring in, gotta keep those eyes sharp man.

Also, on the days that your not in the gym try to get some time in just shadow boxing and working those muscles. Ofcourse work the technical aspect but just keep those muscles working. Lay off on sunday and start it up again, ya know.

With losing 16 lbs or whatever, just work hard when your in the gym and run hard when your not. Dont go about the dehydration method of drying out and such, it will or could be your down fall in the ring for the fight. Just wear clothes that will make you sweat good, work hard and then be sure to rehydrate yourself afterwards. Water is a natural fat burner, keeping yourself dehydrated through training will actually slow down the fat burning process and limit your positive affects during training.

Most of the times for amatuer fights you will weigh in with out even knowing who your going to throw with. So I say work hard and come in at a fairly natural weight so that you will be strong for the fight.

To many people have to many loses on their records because of trying to lose weight. Remember that these are not pro fights, you dont have 24 hours to replenish your body with what it needs (and sometimes 24 hrs isnt even enough time). In the amatuers you may have 3-4 hours to replenish maybe less if your one of the first few bouts.

Good luck though. Concentrate more on your skill and then fight and less on losing weight. Come in natural and you will have all of the strength that you'll need to pull out the fight..........Rockin'
              thanks for the input. but yeah my schedule is loaded. school mon-friday, work tuesday, friday-sunday all late shifts so im going gym mon wednesday and thursday. but i can still run when i get off from work. but yeah man i shouldve had a fight looonng time ago. just somethin is tellin me i need to box or somethin. im hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                Hilmer Kenty told me that he used to run 2 miles a day. Imsure that he had his days off though through the week.

Think about it, a 15 round world champion fighter running 2 miles per day.

Yup, do what makes you feel best...........Rockin'
                i heard james toney doesnt even run. he just spars hella rounds when he goes to the gym. that fat motha ****a has the best stamina ive seen

Comment

Originally posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post
                  i heard james toney doesnt even run. he just spars hella rounds when he goes to the gym. that fat motha ****a has the best stamina ive seen
                  If Toney were to run, he'd probably have the worst ****ing knees in the business.

Comment

Where do you live flip?

Comment

Working...
                    X