No announcement yet.

Do you know when to take a break?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know when to take a break?

I had been taking the summer of, last week i started going to the gym again and i didn't waste any time. I have been training very hard, sparred 4 times in 7 days and intense training. I have been cutting down my calories intake, i try to stay under 2000 calories a day, and i'm a pretty big guy.

Anyway, i usually take every saturday off and it's enough for me to recuperate and be able to go through another 6 days of training without any problem.

But yesterday i felt tired and sore even though i had taken saturday off. I still went to the gym and had an intense 6 rounds sparring session. I took some hard body shots, last night it was fine but when i woke up this morning i felt like i had been in a car wreck.

I still went to the gym tonight, warmed up, wrapped my hands and started hitting the bag. After a round i just went "**** this, i'm going home". Took my **** and here i am.

It was just an accumulation of physical fatigue and mental fatigue, i'm also pretty stressed out because my father is undergoing surgery tommorow.

So am i the only one who knows when he needs to take some time off? I know some of you keyboard warriors will say that you train 8 hours a day without ever resting but i live in the real world and i think that resting for a day or two only means that i will be able to train at 100% when i get back at it.

What do you guys think?

Just more of a psychological thing than anything, TS. You feel like **** when you take a break because you're used to training hard all the time and feel that a sport like boxing is only for the mentally-strong, and that such people will fight through any type of adversity.

I used to be the same way, but I've gotten to know my body better and I know when to listen to it. Rest is key and if you feel like you need an extra day of rest, take it.

If you're serious about the sport you know when you truly need the rest or when you are simply using an extra day as an excuse for not going through the rigors of training.

I think you're serious about the sport and are doing the right thing. Don't listen to the ensuing comments of "man the **** up".

Comment

Originally posted by sukhenkoy View Post
      Just more of a psychological thing than anything, TS. You feel like **** when you take a break because you're used to training hard all the time and feel that a sport like boxing is only for the mentally-strong, and that such people will fight through any type of adversity.

I used to be the same way, but I've gotten to know my body better and I know when to listen to it. Rest is key and if you feel like you need an extra day of rest, take it.

If you're serious about the sport you know when you truly need the rest or when you are simply using an extra day as an excuse for not going through the rigors of training.

I think you're serious about the sport and are doing the right thing. Don't listen to the ensuing comments of "man the **** up".
      I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm actually in favor of taking a break when my body is telling me to. I dont feel like **** because i'm not training, i'm feeling like **** because i trained too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
        I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm actually in favor of taking a break when my body is telling me to. I dont feel like **** because i'm not training, i'm feeling like **** because i trained too hard.
        I understand. What I'm saying is that it seems like your reason for starting the thread in the first place is to have people tell you it's OK to take a break, or at the very least see that other boxers are fine with taking breaks, thus giving you further reason to take yours.

Comment

I take 2 breaks a week and one light day where i just bike.

every week week tues, wed, and thurs i train. friday i break. saturday this week ill be runing 20 miles, sunday ill bike 20 taking it very easy, monday i rest, and tuesday i start again.

most the time i take my days easy during the week. though i use rest days so that i can really push my self to the limit on my long runs.

Comment

20 miles????

Comment

yeah did 18 last week working on the scranton marathon in pa oct 11th. ill do 5 today, 10 tomorrow, 5 thurs. then 20 miles saturday.

Comment

i run about 3 times a week, train 3 or 4 days. i can't punch with my left so i'm kind of taking it easy right now, don't really need any breaks.

Comment

I train 6 days a week, twice a day most days. I rest on Sundays.

Comment

I normally only train 4 days a week, sometimes maybe 5

Comment

Working...
                    X