No announcement yet.

both Khan and Brook were heavily inspired by Prince Naseem Hamed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• both Khan and Brook were heavily inspired by Prince Naseem Hamed

Brook actually had the same trainers as Nas and he always looked up to him, just as Khan always looked up to Nas. I guess a lot of fighters worldwide idolize Nas but this is a little closer to home because Nas personally knows both these guys and spent time around them. It's funny how two fighters who were both heavily inspired by Hamed are now beefing in what might turn out to be a dramatic showdown in the ring.

I remember in Brook's early days, he was a lot flashier than he is now, he tried to actually imitate Nas' fast-talking but it didn't work out for him so much, I guess only a few people can actually pull it off.

Yeah it's only natural that they were inspired by Naz because he was an absolute mega star in the UK. You're right about it being closer to home, as Kell Brook was always around the gym during the height of Hameds popularity up until he left the Wincobank gym.... Much like Naz himself used to follow Herol Graham around.

If you remember all of those VHS tapes released during Hameds career (which everyone probably will as there was so many of them released even though they were all the same only with different names).... You will see a very young Kell brook on them, although very briefly.

Naz was a massive star in the UK, and attracted an enormous amount of casual viewers and a lot of the younger crowd who normally wouldn't go to watch fights live even if they were already boxing fans. I was in attendance for three of his fights, one of which was not long after he turned professional and was still fighting as a flyweight, which a lot of people forget. Before he began fighting exclusively on Sky (which i think was a few fights before he moved up to beat Robinson)... he was pulling in relatively large numbers on ITV in a terrible timeslot, sometimes in mere 6 rounders.

Obviously, this thread is going to be hijacked with such brilliant insight as "he gt diztroyed by bearrera lolz", but who am I to question those experts.

Comment

Yep. Brook especially as for a long time he's been hyped up as the next Prince Naseem. He's from Hamed's hometown of Sheffield, he grew up around Hamed at the height of his career and is trained by the Ingle's. He also apparently sounds like Naz(although i dont think he does myself i know a lot of people who think he does).

Khan obviously as Hamed was the first British Muslim superstar i can think of in Sport so he will have looked up to him a lot.

However, i think it's important to mention that it's not just British boxers who have been heavily inspired by Hamed. I'd say he left his mark on Boxers all across the globe. Yes there was showmans in Boxing before Hamed however no one ever took it to the level Hamed took it to, and as successfull as he was doing it.

All the fannying around with the ring entrances and talk before the fights etc is all well and good, however Hamed was going in there and sparking people out. Not only did he have all the razmataz outside of the ring, he also had freakish knockout power for a guy in his weight class.

Nowadays we see the likes of Mayweather and Broner paying more and more attention to their ring entrances and all round general showmanship, im sure Hamed's success will have inspired them also.

He was the first little guy to make multi million dollars per fight and he did it at a time when the Heavyweight division was still alive, not like it is nowadays. His antics before the fight were a huge reason for that. He brought in a whole new crowd to Boxing, and made silly amounts of money in doing so, so i'd defintely say he inspired a lot of Boxers not least Brook who must have looked up to Hamed like mad when he was a nipper.

Funny how things work out ain't it. Hamed is close to both Khan and Brook however im sure if the fight does come off, Hamed will be rooting for his old stablemate and fellow Sheffield lad Kell.
      Last edited by Roy Jones Jnr; 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

No one cares. So one hype job (Hamed) inspired another (Khan). Big deal.

Comment

Brook has the accent but he can't talk the talk like Naz. Wonder who Naz would be pulling for, I'm thinking Brook.

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
          lol literally millions care, you have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            Brook has the accent but he can't talk the talk like Naz. Wonder who Naz would be pulling for, I'm thinking Brook.

lol literally millions care, you have no idea.
            IMO he'll definitely be rooting for Brook.

Comment

Id have to agree with this.

Comment

You care. Or you wouldn't have opened the thread & contributed to it.

Comment

Brook actually looks a bit like Naz

I wonder if he is Naz's secret love child

Comment

Working...
                  X