Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Top Ten Boxing Stories of 2008

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy to admit I have some biases. I tend to overly praise exciting fighters and underpraise more careful practitioners. That is probably what's going on with my writing about the Brothers K. (And why I'm immediately a fan of David Haye.)

Comment

Originally posted by dsauvage View Post
      I don't hate Eastern Europeans... I even like Vitali a little bit. But there's no much excitement to them, let's face it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my article.

-David
      floyd hater huh?....

Comment

I thought it was a good read

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
          I disagree.. I mean they win BY KO a huge % of the time.. You call all their challenges Stiffs.. yet give credence to a Cruiser weight who's ONLY victories at heavy weight were against... Yep.. stiffs..

You have a Bias and don't want to admit it.. Which is fine.. most people have a tough time confronting their less appealing sides.. But it's blatantly there in your OWN words in your OWN article.. SO to deny it in the light of evidence which suggests otherwise.. Is an insult to your readers intelligence..
          Well, their KO's still come after however many rounds of utterly boring boxing. I can understand people liking them, but I can also understand that many people wouldn't like them. Quite simply, when the biggest threat in the division is Sam Peter or that Ibragamov/Klitschko was not that big of an aberration, you know that the Heavies are in a world of trouble.

Like it or not, or like him or not, Haye is an exiting fighter. He throws big punches with good skill that can KO anyone, and can get KO'd himself, and even freely admits it! What's not to like? Whether you think he's a limey douche-bag, you have to admit that he makes the most exiting fights in the highest divisions in years, and if you're not looking forward to him fighting either Klit, whether it's to see him get knocked out or not doesn't matter because it's him you want to see in there knocking someone out or getting knocked out, then there is something wrong.

Maybe we look at things differently though because I didn't really see him giving much credence to Haye. I saw him write 'At least Vitali is taking a risk with Haye.', which it clearly is. That's all he wrote, which isn't really saying "Haye is the greatest thing since sliced bread and is the savior of boxing!", nor did he say anything about Haye's competition being better than the Klit's in the slightest. There wasn't mention of anything Haye has done so he's really not giving credence to Haye and not the Klit's. Anyway, Vitali has been out a long time, and coming back and fighting someone with serious speed and power is risky. Although he's completely unproven, it's still a risky fight.

I also only saw him write that the heavyweight division is boring, which it clearly is. Not that much bias there, you may be just seeing what you want to see, which is fine, most people have a tough time confronting their less appealing sides.

Last edited by BennyST; 12-28-2008, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
            I disagree.. I mean they win BY KO a huge % of the time.. You call all their challenges Stiffs.. yet give credence to a Cruiser weight who's ONLY victories at heavy weight were against... Yep.. stiffs..

You have a Bias and don't want to admit it.. Which is fine.. most people have a tough time confronting their less appealing sides.. But it's blatantly there in your OWN words in your OWN article.. SO to deny it in the light of evidence which suggests otherwise.. Is an insult to your readers intelligence..
            Haye is stepping up in his 3rd heavyweight fight to take on the best in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
              by David Sauvage - Did boxing have a theme in 2008? [details]

David Sauvage is an *******. But Manny is fantastic, indeed.

Comment

DAVID you hit the "oscar" on this one!!!!!!!!

Comment

Campbell's redemption at number 9? Nate did well in defeating Diaz but it wasnt exactly a dramatic performance and he hasnt gone on to do anything with his titles since that win. that's not necessarily his fault, but I think the Bute-Andrade fight generated more buzz. It also had one of the most dramatic endings with the worst officiating in a long time. The Soto-Lorenzo fight should have also been considered if only for Lorenzo's Oscar worthy performance.
                  Last edited by Caxcan; 12-29-2008, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Terrible Article

David Sauvage should be fired

Comment

Well Stellhammer, if it makes you feel any better, I wasn't paid.

Comment

Working...
                      X