No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto, a modern day Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel Cotto, a modern day Hearns?

I don't mean in terms of their styles, I mean in comparison to their careers. Hearns lost to the two best elite opponents of his era (although he should've got the decision in the Leonard rematch), just as Cotto has now lost to Pacquiao and then Mayweather. Just my opinion, what do you guys think? Although both have pretty good wins (Duran, Cuevas, Margharito, Mosley).

Hearns is a bonafide ATG with many good wins and a few very good ones (you forgot Wilfred Benitez, also an ATG). They range from WW to LHW, the '70s to the '90s, and he last fought 7 years ago, knocking out a cruiserweight.

His win over Hill at LHW (while Hearns was shot or at least badly faded) is better than Cotto's win over Mosley. His best win in my opinion.

Cotto will be inducted to the HOF, but he is not even close to Hearns' level.
    Last edited by Capaedia; 01-24-2013, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      I don't mean in terms of their styles, I mean in comparison to their careers. Hearns lost to the two best elite opponents of his era (although he should've got the decision in the Leonard rematch), just as Cotto has now lost to Pacquiao and then Mayweather. Just my opinion, what do you guys think? Although both have pretty good wins (Duran, Cuevas, Margharito, Mosley).
      In my opinion, I don't think they are comparable. Hearns was beating legitimate top fighters in his divisions like Benitez, Roldan, Andries and Virgil Hill as he moved up in weight. At 154, Cotto beat Yuri Foreman and Margarito who has never been a top fighter at 154. I also believe Hearns win over Cuevas alone could be more impressive than any win Cotto ever had. Margarito was clearly on the downside after the beatings from Mosley and Pacquiao. I personally have never seen Cotto, even at his best, as equal to the force Hearns was at 147.

The only thing they have in common is losing to the two best fighters of their era but that's where it ends in my opinion.
      Last edited by joseph5620; 01-24-2013, 12:08 AM.

Comment

f#ck no.

hearn's win over cuevas is better than anything miguel cotto has ever done.

Comment

Seriously??

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              In my opinion, I don't think they are comparable. Hearns was beating legitimate top fighters in his divisions like Benitez, Roldan, Andries and Virgil Hill as he moved up in weight. At 154, Cotto beat Yuri Foreman and Margarito who has never been a top fighter at 154. I also believe Hearns win over Cuevas alone could be more impressive than any win Cotto ever had. Margarito was clearly on the downside after the beatings from Mosley and Pacquiao. I personally have never seen Cotto, even at his best, as equal to the force Hearns was at 147.

The only thing they have in common is losing to the two best fighters of their era but that's where it ends in my opinion.
              Alright, that's kind of what I thought and that was the comparison I was trying to make anyway, both losing to the two best of their era.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Alright, that's kind of what I thought and that was the comparison I was trying to make anyway, both losing to the two best of their era.
                Hearns laid one of the two best fighters of his era flat on his face in spectacular fashion.

2-2-1, arguably 3-2 against ATGs is much better than most fighters will ever achieve. Especially considering that he even looked great in his losing efforts.
                Last edited by Capaedia; 01-24-2013, 02:45 AM.

Comment

I could get flamed for this but... same could be said for Hatton. Both of them lost to the two best fighters of their generation. For Hagler and Leonard it's possibly the best win of their careers, and for Pac and Floyd it's their best KO wins. But of course Tommy rebounded and became an ATG, unlike Ricky who retired.

Also both of them are called Hitman lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
                    I could get flamed for this but... same could be said for Hatton. Both of them lost to the two best fighters of their generation. For Hagler and Leonard it's possibly the best win of their careers, and for Pac and Floyd it's their best KO wins. But of course Tommy rebounded and became an ATG, unlike Ricky who retired.

Also both of them are called Hitman lol
                    Roberto 'Sleepyhead' Duran > Hagler.

Comment

Working...
                    X