Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you really think about it.what sport is more popular in U.S.A?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Multiple times throughout the week and every weekend on ESPN, and that's just what I know is on regularly. MLS and Premier League are shown a lot.
    I've seen EPL on ESPN but I don't think EPL ratings really show that soccer is growing. The EPL interest in the states would probably be from hardcore soccer fans, not the casual. The real gauge would be the MLS(I'd like to see the ratings), and even at that it just pits the MLS V boxing on ESPN. Boxing has many more networks than soccer in America, especially in locations that don't have a high latino population. For instance here in Michigan, we don't have any of those latin stations so soccer can really only be found on ESPN and early in the morning to boot. Boxing on the other hand can be found on a lot of other networks. It may depend where you live in the country but up here soccer doesn't seem bigger than boxing at all.

Also seems like the networks have a lot more plans for the sport of boxing than soccer but that's only going to happen if the head hanchos of this sport go along with it. The only reason it seemed like ESPN made a big push with soccer was due to the fact that the NHL had a lockout and they had to fill a void for their network highlights and also tried to swoop up those ratings lost from that sport.

Comment

I don't personally know of anyone who follows boxing or knows anything about it outside of Mayweather & Pac (I live in SoCal). A lot of people, particularly minorities and even an increasing number of "European" Americans are starting to follow soccer. Most soccer fans I know follow European soccer as opposed to MLS. I personally like soccer but I don't watch any MLS matches.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
        The entire article is clearly about the US. If you at least read the article you'd see it's a study on the US fight audience. You're trying to twist stats that are right in front of you.

Meltzer's reference to Hispanics building the boxing fan base has nothing to do with the actual study, and he's referring to immigrants into the US anyway. He contradicts himself saying boxing's growth is down to Hispanics while he fails to explain why wrestling hasn't seem that same growth in the US. I know why. Because boxing didn't grow purely because of the hispanics.

Look at this quote, not only are they talking about the US but he contradicts himself immediately:
        big key is the emergence in numbers of the Hispanic audience, where boxing is the second biggest sport next to soccer. Those numbers have increased over the past decade from 37.4 million to 50.7 million, and will continue to increase over the next decade. What makes that strange is that pro wrestling is twice as popular with the Hispanic audience in the U.S. than the white audience, so whatever growth boxing should have because of it should be mirrored by wrestling. It’s hard to say why that isn’t the case. Boxing hasn’t had that superstar Hispanic since Oscar De La Hoya, and wrestling really hasn’t had one in decades. Eddy Guerrero was close before his death and was the biggest since the heyday of Mil Mascaras (who was a superstar only regionally in the U.S.), but to really draw from that type of audience, the guy has to be No. 1, not No. 5 when it comes to being pushed as the serious top star of the brand.
        The article does not talk about the US, they probably refering to mexico or latin american when they talk about boxing and heres how I know:
        "big key is the emergence in numbers of the Hispanic audience, where boxing is the second biggest sport next to soccer"
        The quote is from the article and it states that boxing is the second sport only to soccer.Is soccer the nr 1 spoort in the US?No.It's the number 1 sport in mexico and the nr 2 sport is boxing.So it's logical that the hespanic hes talking about are from mexico or south america.
        Also you can't compare soccer with boxing to begin with soccer is a team sport and boxing is and individual sport.A team doesn't get old or past their prime so it's normal that team sports to rule.Soccer is gona get bigger in the US and now theyre on fox also wich air some matches.Boxing is gonna have a harder time than soccer because it's run by multiple gov. bodys and promoters so it's logical that someone like soccer and the ufc wich has one gov.body or leading promotion and make the best fight or play the best.The Ferittas(the guys whos own the UFC) were boxing officials and fans before learning about mma and they wanted to be boxing promoters bu they realised that it can't be fixed and that's we they decided to buy a company that was banned on ppv instead but the sport itself had a potential to work everywhere not only in the US(NFL)

Comment

Originally posted by mikinoki View Post
          The article does not talk about the US, they probably refering to mexico or latin american when they talk about boxing and heres how I know:
          "big key is the emergence in numbers of the Hispanic audience, where boxing is the second biggest sport next to soccer"
          The quote is from the article and it states that boxing is the second sport only to soccer.Is soccer the nr 1 spoort in the US?No.It's the number 1 sport in mexico and the nr 2 sport is boxing.So it's logical that the hespanic hes talking about are from mexico or south america.
          Also you can't compare soccer with boxing to begin with soccer is a team sport and boxing is and individual sport.A team doesn't get old or past their prime so it's normal that team sports to rule.Soccer is gona get bigger in the US and now theyre on fox also wich air some matches.Boxing is gonna have a harder time than soccer because it's run by multiple gov. bodys and promoters so it's logical that someone like soccer and the ufc wich has one gov.body or leading promotion and make the best fight or play the best.The Ferittas(the guys whos own the UFC) were boxing officials and fans before learning about mma and they wanted to be boxing promoters bu they realised that it can't be fixed and that's we they decided to buy a company that was banned on ppv instead but the sport itself had a potential to work everywhere not only in the US(NFL)
          You're just a ****ing ******. Learn to read. It's a US study. They're talking about Hispanics in the US. Again, learn to read. Now **** off. Go back to your trailer you pit fighting troll. The study is right in front of you. LEARN TO READ.
          Last edited by croz; 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by godsavethequeen View Post
            MMA can not hold a spark to Boxing.. NO MMA fighter would beat even a contender at boxing.. Yet Dana White ( aka Ho-Mo ) will get a boxer in the ring doing MMA what a Bender
            Well one James Tony annoyed Dana into giving him the fight just to shut him up. James did it for Money plain and simple. And 2! Of course a Mixed Martial Artist wont do well in Boxing just like a Boxer wont do good in a Ju Jitsu, Judo, or Wrestling match. This has to be the dumbest observation that gets regurgitated on this board over and over! Duh mother****ers Im sure a baseball player wouldnt fair to well on a football field!!

Comment

You're just a ****ing ******. Learn to read. It's a US study. They're talking about Hispanics in the US. Again, learn to read. Now **** off. Go back to your trailer you pit fighting troll.
              Again stop insulting me and then calling me a troll because you make yourself look like an ass and a troll.
              You mean to tell that there are 50 milions!!!! hespanics in the US that are boxing fans!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mikinoki View Post
                Again stop insulting me and then calling me a troll because you make yourself look like an ass and a troll.
                You mean to tell that there are 50 milions!!!! hespanics in the US that are boxing fans!!!!
                I get it now. They don't teach words in your trailer park do they?

Comment

I get it now. They don't teach words in your trailer park do they?
                  Glad you get it and the only debatable response you can get back is Trolling and insulting me

Comment

I'm glad that football is getting more and more popular in America. It's after all the most popular sport in the world. But as far as boxing. America really needs a big punching[ B]HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP[/B] who could clean out the divison in impressive fashion. The HW division is the formula 1 of boxing. It's the biggest baddest man who runs the HW division.

An american HW knockout artist would easily outshine any boxer out there and would definitely be a mainstream star and bring tons of attention to boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X