Tyson's routine in the 80s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson's routine in the 80s

4AM - Run 3miles, then back to sleep

2PM - 60MIN of pad work and heavy bag, 15MIN of slip bag, 15MIN of speed bag, 30MIN of jump rope

5PM - Groundwork (leg raises on dip bar, dips, and neck braces)

10PM - Stationary cycle at 24hr health club

6-7 weeks before fight night; routine remained the same apart from 15 rounds of sparring in place of pad work and heavy bag

Rest in last week and a few weeks off after fight

Weights? NONE.

Food? EVERYTHING. He was known to eat his favourite, Captain Crunch, by the box load, loved 30oz porterhouse steaks or 2/3's of a roasted chicken; and loved ordering chinese takeaway while studying the past greats at night.

Theory with pad work and heavy bag? Always focussing on moving the head after the last punch thrown, never throwing less than two or more than five punches.

Good **** yo

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

thats crazy how he never lifted weights !

Comment

As a former Tyson fanatic, I must alert you to that routine being false. The only thing true about it is the Captain Crunch part, the not lifting weights part, and he part about never throwing over [four or] five punches.

Please see my thread here: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=403055

And even that workout of his isn't entirely limited to the 80's one (he didn't use headgear for sparring in the Catskill days).
          Last edited by GymRat; 01-18-2011, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Loved watching Mike Tyson in his prime, might get some of his old fights out and watch

Comment

Originally posted by coghaugen View Post
              4AM - Run 3miles, then back to sleep

2PM - 60MIN of pad work and heavy bag, 15MIN of slip bag, 15MIN of speed bag, 30MIN of jump rope

5PM - Groundwork (leg raises on dip bar, dips, and neck braces)

10PM - Stationary cycle at 24hr health club

6-7 weeks before fight night; routine remained the same apart from 15 rounds of sparring in place of pad work and heavy bag

Rest in last week and a few weeks off after fight

Weights? NONE.

Food? EVERYTHING. He was known to eat his favourite, Captain Crunch, by the box load, loved 30oz porterhouse steaks or 2/3's of a roasted chicken; and loved ordering chinese takeaway while studying the past greats at night.

Theory with pad work and heavy bag? Always focussing on moving the head after the last punch thrown, never throwing less than two or more than five punches.
              I'm sorry, but I saw so many videos of tyson lifting weights...
              Are you really sure he didn't lift?

Comment

Awesome, thanks man.

Comment

Originally posted by fabioakadekat View Post
                  I'm sorry, but I saw so many videos of tyson lifting weights...
                  Are you really sure he didn't lift?
                  Maybe later years. Show me the 85-88 years?

Comment

Tyson did not lift in the 80s'

A friend of mine gave me Steve Lott's email address. Lott was there with Tyon, Cus, and Rooney. He lived with Tyson for 2.5 years, sharing an apartment. They are still great friends. I asked Steve if Tyson lifted weights when training with Cus or Rooney. He said no, not at all. He also said the routine posted on the internet about Tyson's original routine is all crap. Tyson never ran with a weight on his back to keep him short. Lott said that even when Tyson visited gyms that had weights or machines he never used them. It was not until much later, after he broke up with Rooney did he start lifting.

Comment

Working...
                    X