No announcement yet.

Sucks that Detroit is dead.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucks that Detroit is dead.

For those that can relate or even care about a once budding city. Detroit's census came out today and the population has fallen to 713,000 residents. That's a 200,000 or 25% population drop in just 10 years. A city that once had more population than any city in the country not named LA or NYC is now no longer even in the mix as a major city.

I could ***** and moan that my childhood memories have been destroyed or that my house no longer stands but it is so much more than that. A once great American city is completely dead. A city that stood at the pinnacle of the world in the 1930's and represented what America truly is has been battered and all that remains is vacant lots. Some of you may not give a **** about Detroit but the death of Detroit is one of Americas greatest tragedies.

To this

Did all the whites leave?

Comment

Sad, cant believe Government just kept Detroit a dumping grounds now.

Of course population will decline if no jobs and companies aren't moving in.

Comment

I can relate to it as a Detroit sports fan and a former Michigan resident who was born in the state. I've been through the bad parts of Detroit and it's a very depressing place to go.

The whole state has had some pretty bad losses economically and one of the primary reasons is the downfall of Detroit. I've worked for a couple auto suppliers, one job I left, and the other I was laid off from due to the bad economy. I've felt the impact myself not to mention numerous family members and friends who have been effected by it.

Here's my "hometown" (even though I did not live inside the city limits)
        Jackson, MI
        1930: 55,187 (Peak census number)
        2000: 36,316
        2010: 33,534 (lowest since 1910)

It's depressing. There is a reason I left and numerous others before me and after me will leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual View Post
          Yes, about 92% of Detroits population is African American.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Malone View Post
            I can relate to it as a Detroit sports fan and a former Michigan resident who was born in the state. I've been through the bad parts of Detroit and it's a very depressing place to go.

The whole state has had some pretty bad losses economically and one of the primary reasons is the downfall of Detroit. I've worked for a couple auto suppliers, one job I left, and the other I was laid off from due to the bad economy. I've felt the impact myself not to mention numerous family members and friends who have been effected by it.

Here's my "hometown" (even though I did not live inside the city limits)
            Jackson, MI
            1930: 55,187 (Peak census number)
            2000: 36,316
            2010: 33,534 (lowest since 1910)

It's depressing. There is a reason I left and numerous others before me and after me will leave.
            The state as a whole didn't see a dramatic decrease in population, just Detroit. Macomb County seen a 6% increase and actually now has more of a population than Detroit at about 850,000 people and Oakland County is now over 1.2 million residents. From the census it said that major increasing of African American families in those counties, pretty obvious even African Americans want out of the city.

I do not want to offend any African Americans but I can tell as a suburbanite that my city has declined in just the last few years. I know to a lot of Detroiters just getting to the suburbs is an accomplishment but with all the cheap housing a lot of the wrong type of people are setting up homes here and now even the suburbs, which were beautiful at one time are looking beat up. I can't even imagine staying here for 10 years and that's what sucks, to leave everything behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
              Yes, about 92% of Detroits population is African American.
              Wow. They must have fled in their hundreds of thousands.

Does Marshall Mathers still live there?

Comment

Wow. They must have fled in their hundreds of thousands.

Does Marshall Mathers still live there?
                Take the worst part of England and think of that as Detroit. Wealthy people do not live in Detroit, nor do wealthy companies. Detroit is more of a wasteland now. Enimen lives in Oakland County, like most wealthy athletes from here or musicians. Despite Detroits downfall, Oakland Country still was amongst one of the wealthier counties in America.

Comment

Ya, they actually went and looked for a job.... Not settle for crime or unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                    The state as a whole didn't see a dramatic decrease in population, just Detroit.
                    Michigan was the only state in the census that lost population. It's sad. It's my home and all my family is still there.

Comment

Working...
                    X