No announcement yet.

Cotto: "Yesterday I left the gym @ 166"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto: "Yesterday I left the gym @ 166"

He told the local newspaper that yesterday he did his first sparring session with undefeated prospect Thomas Dulorme and left the gym at 166. Why the **** is he fighting at 154? He could easily make 147.

Originally posted by borikua View Post
    He told the local newspaper that yesterday he did his first sparring session with undefeated prospect Thomas Dulorme and left the gym at 166. Why the **** is he fighting at 154? He could easily make 147.
    i guess he's at the point in his career where he doesn't want to kill himself in the gym just to make weight. he can comfortably make 154 and focus on training and not losing weight... i'm possibly totally wrong. just saying.

btw...any word on how the sparring is going between him and dulorme?

Comment

Because the big money fight is at 154.

Comment

There's no fights down there. A Mosley rematch is pointless now, Berto was exposed, and Ortiz is fighting Floyd. Even if he won, he'd probably fight Pacquiao after. I mean who is he gonna fight, Mike Jones? Brad Solomon? Senchenko? Those fights would do nothing for him, and Jones would be a high risk, low reward.

Comment

Originally posted by reneg_2 View Post
          i guess he's at the point in his career where he doesn't want to kill himself in the gym just to make weight. he can comfortably make 154 and focus on training and not losing weight... i'm possibly totally wrong. just saying.

btw...any word on how the sparring is going between him and dulorme?
          Dulorme said that he was impressed with Cotto's movement being his first sparring session in months and that he felt Cotto's hands. The writter of the article pointed out that Cotto had a small lump in his right cheek due to the sparring.

Comment

Here's a link to the article for those who know Spanish:

http://www.elnuevodia.com/comenzoaguantear-1016239.html

Comment

He's 30 and I think he's past the point of wanting drain himself to make 147 if he doesn't have to. He's good enough and skilled enough to handle any of the big names at 154. Going back to 147 would and should be for career highlighting fights and really big cash out options.

I don't like him at 154 naturally because of his size, but his skills will win him on most days. At 30+, the motivation to starve out 2 or 3 pounds recedes.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
                There's no fights down there. A Mosley rematch is pointless now, Berto was exposed, and Ortiz is fighting Floyd. Even if he won, he'd probably fight Pacquiao after. I mean who is he gonna fight, Mike Jones? Brad Solomon? Senchenko? Those fights would do nothing for him, and Jones would be a high risk, low reward.
                ^^^^This^^^^

Comment

Dulorme is saying Cotto must've been working because he looked really good for not sparring for a while and that he felt his power. Saying he looked slim.

Comment

I hope we get some vids soon

Comment

Working...
                    X