No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Delay Only Intensifies The Dream For Abner Mares

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Delay Only Intensifies The Dream For Abner Mares

By Jake Donovan - Three months ago, Abner Mares was a win away from picking up his first major title as a professional, and also becoming Golden Boy Promotions’ first home-grown champion.

With an untimely injury suffered by his opponent and defending titlist Joseph Agbeko, the dream was put on hold for another three months.

The statement still remains true heading into this weekend’s headliner at The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas, which serves as the finals for Showtime’s bantamweight tournament. Time was lost, as was the logistics of training camp – new sparring partners brought in, a break in camp along with a temporary change in locations.

What hasn’t changed is the hunger and desire to realize his dream and do his bosses proudly.

“We are getting close to this fight that I’ve been waiting for quite some time,” notes Mares (21-0-1, 13KO) who has been idle since his off-the-floor split decision win over Vic Darchinyan in the opening round of the Showtime Bantamweight Tournament last December. “The fight got cancelled back in April and now... I’m ready to do this.”

The three-month delay – caused by Agbeko suffering a severe case of sciatica during fight week - is merely another chapter in a career already filled with setbacks and obstacles. The path that has led Mares to his second crack at a major title shot is hardly the template followed by most potential rising stars.

Mares appeared to be well on his way towards a rapid rise to the top, including an HBO Boxing After Dark showcase appearance in November 2007, just three years and 15 fights into his young career. Four months later, he served as the opening act for a pay-per-view event headlined by the rematch between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. [Click Here To Read More]

if this becomes a close fight which can go either way, they'll gonna give it to mares like they did vs darch.....mares needs to beat someone good convincingly for me to give props.....so far, he has'nt really done ****.....

Comment

He needs to bring it and win big by a knockout here if he wants people to talk about him as one of the best at 118.

Comment

such a fight....

as bull goose loony bart scott would say

can't wait !!

Comment

I love watching Mares fight, kids an animal.

Comment

Everyone is talking like this will be Abner's annointing as a Mexican superstar, but he was lucky to get the nod over Vic and unless Agbeko has some risidual effects from his injury, I'm confident he'll expose Abner's limited boxing ability, much the same way Darchiniyan did and take a UD

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
              if this becomes a close fight which can go either way, they'll gonna give it to mares like they did vs darch.....mares needs to beat someone good convincingly for me to give props.....so far, he has'nt really done ****.....
              Bzzzt! Wrong! Vic "The Raging Bull" was more of a snapping turtle vs Mares. He hid behind his shell(like Clottey did vs Pacquiao) and would only throw a single punch when he thought he could get away with it. And he wants a rematch? Hah? Would he move his fists as fast as he does his mouth I wonder? Most likely not.

Comment

think Agbeko will win convincingly via a late middle round stoppage

Comment

about time

mares title is well deserved he will outbox agbeko and will engage aswell in a exiting batle

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                    Everyone is talking like this will be Abner's annointing as a Mexican superstar, but he was lucky to get the nod over Vic and unless Agbeko has some risidual effects from his injury, I'm confident he'll expose Abner's limited boxing ability, much the same way Darchiniyan did and take a UD
                    i dont lubky is the word if it wasnt for the point deduction and the knockdown i would easily could habe been ud and mares was on his way to stop darchinian dude

Comment

Working...
                    X