No announcement yet.

we dont use the speed bag in our gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we dont use the speed bag in our gym

My coach doesn't believe in the speed bag.he says it really doesn't work on your speed and you don't even hit it like you would punch in a real fight..like you do on a double end or heavy bag.it makes sense but I know a lot of trainers will disagree with not incorporating the speedbag in training.its a staple in a boxing gym,I first asked him when I first started about it because I noticed we never used it.

I know there's a couple of trainers on here what's your opinion ? Anyone else here not use it in their gym ?

Originally posted by lumiere View Post
    My coach doesn't believe in the speed bag.he says it really doesn't work on your speed and you don't even hit it like you would punch in a real fight..like you do on a double end or heavy bag.it makes sense but I know a lot of trainers will disagree with not incorporating the speedbag in training.its a staple in a boxing gym,I first asked him when I first started about it because I noticed we never used it.

I know there's a couple of trainers on here what's your opinion ? Anyone else here not use it in their gym ?
    I've spoken to some amateur boxers around my way and they don't use the speed bag either. They say it may help a little in terms of hand/eye coordination but that's about it. One of the guys said he felt it was really overrated. Like you said, they use the double end bag, heavy bag and shadow box with and without weights. They said those are the closest things you can come to actually fighting. You train like you fight and the speed bag doesn't serve that purpose. I've got boxing equipment in my garage and when I workout I don't use it either. I do everything else.

Comment

only use it when a hot chic walks in the gym bro!

and sometimes for warming up. the most useless of any bag in the boxing gym. fun to play with though, to make it dance...but more just for show.

Comment

Yeah, and you shouldn't use the jump rope either since you don't jump up and down in a fight.

Seriously, what is wrong with today's trainers? The speed bag is an essential piece of any fighter's training.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          Yeah, and you shouldn't use the jump rope either since you don't jump up and down in a fight.

Seriously, what is wrong with today's trainers? The speed bag is an essential piece of any fighter's training.
          lol I agree. I'm so glad I have old school trainers in my gym. All the years of experience I trust they know what they're doing. I use the speed bag. Good for eye hand coordination. And it's about the rhythm and sound as well. I can hit it looking away sometimes and also condition shoulders and keep your hands up in a fight. If it gets easy move the bag up if you can adjust it. There's more than one thing you can do on a speed bag. I guess it's all on what you pick up in your gym and the trainers who are teaching you.

Comment

Originally posted by lumiere View Post

speed bags are good,this trainer must be new to the sport and has no idea of the equipment needed in a boxing club,

Comment

Hand/eye coordination and arm stamina.

Comment

In karate we don't use any bags, we just do the instant kill punches against air. You also can't try the punches on anyone in sparring because they would die. The main use of the punches are defense in case of a terrorist attack.

so no, my trainer don't recommend the speed bag.

Comment

I was taught how to throw the hook on a speedbag
                  and that's usualyl what i'll hit if i want to work on it

obviously its about rythm and timing first and foremost

the speedbag isnt all about tricks and going fast
                  you can shoot single shots at the speedbag
                  move your head out of the way
                  move to the sides and circle the bag etc

that being said i'm pretty confident that speedbag sessions arent the most important aspect of a premium fighter's training regimen in terms of helping him win fights

they're also a ****load of fun

Comment

Not using the speed bag because you don't punch like that, that's a good one. As was stated, we don't jump up and down in a ring but we still jump rope. Tons of examples like this can be used(We don't ride a bike in the ring, but we use the bike at the gym. We don't run in the ring, but we run miles. We don't[Or try not to] get off the mat, but we constantly do pushups / sit ups).

The speed bag is good for hand eye coordination, and even more so as a good warm up. I personally use the speed bag at the end of my work out as a cool down after long sparring / heavy bag sessions.

he says it really doesn't work on your speed
                    This trainer is an idiot. It's called a speed ball because its fast. We use medicine balls, they don't heal you, so probably shouldn't use it?

I wouldn't even bother being trained by someone who uses that kind of logic.
                    Last edited by Domey; 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X