No announcement yet.

"Overeem is not a very good fighter" -Chael Sonnen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Overeem is not a very good fighter" -Chael Sonnen

The guy's built for show, not for go. He's made for a poster, he looks like he's made out of clay. He's not a very good fighter. And as far as the K-1 being this great striking event, the K-1 is a striking only event. If you're in the K-1, you're only allowed to strike. But I've never seen a great striker there. I can discredit the K-1 with two syllables: Bob-Sapp.

I'm a huge Chael fan but...

Comment

LOOOOL at the bob sapp thing... he is right though... Didn't bob sapp beat up a k1 legend also

Comment

if Brock beats Overeem, what will his fanboys do then? [Big IF]
        gonna be almost as bad as Werdum owning Fedor.

Comment

great point though... UFC fighter will not thrive in K1 rules and vice versa.. but chael forget that overeem also fought in strikeforce where the rules are almost identical to UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian.. View Post
            The guy's built for show, not for go. He's made for a poster, he looks like he's made out of clay. He's not a very good fighter. And as far as the K-1 being this great striking event, the K-1 is a striking only event. If you're in the K-1, you're only allowed to strike. But I've never seen a great striker there. I can discredit the K-1 with two syllables: Bob-Sapp.

lol and where are you seeing them exactly?

like it or not, a technical kickboxer is lightyears ahead of some wrestler whose "striking" game has only been developed within the last few years at best.

if you dont think K-1 has better strikers than MMA you dont know **** about fighting. you just dont get it.

striking is all these guys in k-1 do.

overeem is very technical and very patient. he's also very talented physically, with very good power in either hand or knee and a pretty solid chin. he's also freakishly strong at this stage in his life.

he's a rough go at HW

he's hard to take down and has a stand up style that makes it hard to be effective. he's also got a solid ground game in terms of not being submitted and early in his career he had lots of submissions. he's big and strong enough for the big man// strong man moves as well. (kimuras, chokes from the top, etc)

he's a big and well rounded mixed martial artist and he fights that way.
            Last edited by New England; 10-24-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lebrick View Post
              great point though... UFC fighter will not thrive in K1 rules and vice versa.. but chael forget that overeem also fought in strikeforce where the rules are almost identical to UFC.
              And did what exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by KING DUCK View Post
                And did what exactly?
                haven't heard that he was the champion in strikeforce and pride champion at the same time?

Comment

Well you can sort of discredit the K1 by saying Bob Sapp beat the arguable K1 GOAT in Ernesto Hoost, but at the same time, what heavyweight in the UFC could take Bob Sapp in K1? Let's be honest, outside of a prime Mirko who really stands a chance? Dos Santos? It sounds kind of funny, but can anyone here really imagine these guys beating a young Bob Sapp in K1?

I don't know, just a thought.

Comment

Chael doesn't know what K-1 really is. He just wiki'd for a moment. Picked up content and then trashed Overeem and K-1 all together.

I like Chael but that is what he did.

Overeem isn't as good as people want make him out to be, I will admit that. Before he got huge, he got taken apart by Liddell for heaven's sake. So he isn't all that. But his sheer size is what makes him a threat in the UFC. He gets you on the ground, what are you gonna do?

Comment

Working...
                    X