No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs. Dmitry Pirog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
    Ouma has one of the best chins in boxing to be fair. It did go 10 rounds but he was eventually stopped, and he had to go to hospital after that fight. Golvolkin is ready to go into a big championship fight right now even if he is somewhat unproven with the names on his resume, his pedigree and what he's shown so far is enough to convince he he won't be out of his depth.

Like you said though Pirog is tricky and unique, even with all the amateur and pro experience thus far, Golvolkin will never have seen a guy quite like Pirog so it makes this fight really interesting and Im glad HBO will be showing it.....both of these guys have a style that will translate to US fans
    Not sure if you saw this fight, but Golovkin looked terrible. Ouma hit him at will, he's just featherfisted even at sww. GG eventually just powered through him. Pirog used to fight a bit like a supersized Ouma early on, but that was against weaker comp, could be a mistake here.

But people who think this is a mid round ko for GG might be underestimating the fact that these guys know each other very well. Pirog won't get Buted here. I hope not at least.

Comment

I am not hyped about either but I like the fight. Golovkin just has not impressed me as a pro, he had a great amateur career but I really think this hype is strictly on him knocking over absolute garbage opposition.

I look at this guy and wonder just how the hell he had so much success as an amateur because for me apart from a good punch, I see little at all but an average, undersized middleweight.
      I do not like the guys lack of defense (because he certainly there to be hit), lack of jab, how stationary he is or anything.

I've got Pirog in this one by K.O/T.K.O
      Good jab, nice fluid movement & punch variety also for me hes faced the better, more proven opposition as a pro.

Comment

Great fight. But it's hard to envision Pirog taking Golovkin punches all night.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          So Golovkin is fighting Pirog...Sturm is fighting Geale...and the champ is begging to fight the weakest titlist in the division.

Yeah.

That's a good look.

I like Golovkin but it's a tough fight. I think Sturm-Geale is pick em.
          Geale isn't knocking anything out. Don't see him getting a decision in Germany, the Sylvester fight is giving him false hope, and the WBA has once again givien him a pass to disregard Golovkin's mandatory positon for the 5th or 6th straight fight.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
            Not sure if you saw this fight, but Golovkin looked terrible. Ouma hit him at will, he's just featherfisted even at sww. GG eventually just powered through him. Pirog used to fight a bit like a supersized Ouma early on, but that was against weaker comp, could be a mistake here.

But people who think this is a mid round ko for GG might be underestimating the fact that these guys know each other very well. Pirog won't get Buted here. I hope not at least.
            Let's not sell Ouma short...he was past it, but there haven't been many guys who have been able to stop him from doing his thing...so it resembled a typical hard fought Ouma fight (from what I remember it, I only saw it once live). I guess the only point was to say that Ouma's chin allow him to stay in there and that it could be different with others.

I think I see what you're saying with the comparison between the types of short, pitty pat shots Pirog can throw with what Ouma does ....and how that relates to Gennady getting hit so often. It definitely will be a factor because Pirog disguises his power shots much better than Ouma does...Kassim barely has power, he throws a lot, he lands his share...but the element of a harder shot coming after his pitty pats isn't there. And of course Pirog is wirey and can do different things when he's out of your punching range, in addition to having excellent reflexes. this is a sick matchup either way, hope it goes well. I can't really get a read on the fight so far. Maybe posturing in the early going

Comment

No, he'd be giving up his belt. Remember the WBO were gonna strip him unless he fought NJikam, who just fell into an interim belt in sketchy circumstances
              so he is getting stripped for taking this golovkin fight? i only read that the president of the wbo didn't want the title to be at stake cause he ordered a pirog/n'jikam fight but i haven't heard any news of pirog being 'officially' stripped.

Comment

Great fight. Not sure it will be fully appreciated by the Amercian audience but the quality is as good as it gets.

The fact that Golovkin stopped Ouma and people say it wasd a bad performance speaks volumes. Ive always rated Pirog and its hard to imagine him getting stopped but thats what Im predicting late on. Golovkin is the future ruler at this weight class.

Comment

Good fight although at the pro level both are really unproven ill go with GGG just because off his punching power but in these sort off match ups anything can happen

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    So Golovkin is fighting Pirog...Sturm is fighting Geale...and the champ is begging to fight the weakest titlist in the division.

Yeah.

That's a good look.

I like Golovkin but it's a tough fight. I think Sturm-Geale is pick em.
                    To be fair though it's a lot more money in it. And Martinez need all the paydays he can get as he broke through so late in his career.

Winners of both these fights should be able to fight Martinez. But neither Pirog, Golovkin or Geale have done much to distance themselves from the rest. These are very good fights to do just that.

Comment

No, he'd be giving up his belt. Remember the WBO were gonna strip him unless he fought NJikam, who just fell into an interim belt in sketchy circumstances
                      WBO are inconsistent. They permitted Cleverly to duck his mandatory Sukhotsky since last year, but they won't permit Pirog to unify.
                      Last edited by The Hammer; 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X