Collapse
No announcement yet.

any right handed southpaws on here??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im a right handed southpaw and im having the same trouble, good thread thanks for the answers!

Comment

Lol at Dempsey ducking his own tread.
      He didn't get the response he wanted and abandoned it quick.

Dude, fighting southpaw as a righty because you have a bad lefthand is fuc'king stupid...

Comment

good replies from moh

the left cross is so crucial as a southpaw because the jab has limited effectiveness for most southpaws. the issue with a righty converting is that their weak hand is in the back AND has tons of responsibilities!

Comment

one advantage in converting to south paw is so you're placing your strong hand as the lead. This works well for fighters with shorter reach as they can land their strong hand more often.

Miguel cotto oscar de la hoya, fernado montiel are southpaws that converted to orthodox and all their right straights are trash, they mostly depend on their lead jab and lead hooks

Comment

bad idea, you will most definitely become a one-handed fighter, and i dont think you'll be much of a puncher either

Comment

Its funny you say that UGH! considering bruce lee in your avatar was a huge advocate on having your dominant hand up front. Shoot, hes right handed and is even standing southpaw in your avy.

Comment

Originally posted by -PITO- View Post
                Its funny you say that UGH! considering bruce lee in your avatar was a huge advocate on having your dominant hand up front. Shoot, hes right handed and is even standing southpaw in your avy.
                I started southpaw because of Jeet Kune Do, I still catch myself switching to southpaw when trying new things, or when someone is getting the best of me in sparring.

I think in an actual altercation, alot can be said for keeping the dominant hand foreward, especially if its the only hand with real power. However against a trained boxer, using only boxing techniques (no grappling, no kicking, no open-hand strikes) being a right handed southpaw with no quality punches from your left isn't a very good combination.

I guess I shouldn't knock right handed southpaws, there really isn't nothing wrong with it. I just find that so many people (i was one of them) don't want to put the work into developing that left hand, and they get a little "beginner success" fighting as a right handed southpaw, (usually a quicker and straighter jab and an easier to throw lead hook) and they stop there, maybe they learn how to parry with the left, but other than that, the hand is pretty much worthless.
                If someone is willing to put in the extra time into developing that rear hand, I don't really have a problem with it.

Comment

I'm right handed southpaw however I developed my both hand on a heavy bag.
                  I gain much better balance switching to southpaw.

As for straight left...when slightly pivoting on your left leg focus on keeping the weight on that left leg. I also slightly lean my head to right side. If I do that I get really nice smacking sound on my bag.

Right hook is strong however I'm working on developing it into overhand hook as most guys are orthodox.

Also I stand on a snowboard vice versa than most folks so I have some lefty in me.

Note, I've tried only light sparring as I'm a bag hitter mostly.

Comment

I'm a switch hitter.

You have to keep throwing it to get it better. It's the only way.

Throw it without clenching a fist. Leave your hand open, and just let is flop around at the end of the punch, so you can get that snap motion.

Then after many reps of that, you then begin to clench your fist right before your hand is fully extended. That way you get the snap feeling down, and then start getting the hang of throwing a legit punch.

As far as over committing. I can't say what is the sole reason for it but when i used to do it, it was because I wasn't snapping a punch. I was shoving my fist out there, like a push-punch.

Once I learned to snap the punch, my left straight out of the southpaw stance was no longer over reaching.

Comment

I am. I didn't even know until recently. I thought everyone jabs with their right.

Comment

Working...
                      X