Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times did Jones and Toney appear on the same card?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times did Jones and Toney appear on the same card?

So far I only know of Jones-Harris/Toney-DeWitt in 1992, and Jones-Wolfe/Toney-Barkley in 1993, but were there any others before or after they faced off? Lately I've been fascinated with how both fighters were on the up at the roughly same time at 160 and 168, then finally met for a huge showdown. Must've been absolutely huge back then. The magnitude and importance of that match-up seemed off the charts, but how did boxing fans view it at the time?
    Last edited by PittyPat; 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM.

Come on fellas, I was really interested in some responses on this from the Jones and Toney fans.

Comment

I remember someone posting a really good article a while back. It was about the build up and aftermath of the jones-toney fight

Comment

I wouldn't know nothin' 'bout no build up or no after math.... who's Toney Jones any way, aiint never heard of him...........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          I wouldn't know nothin' 'bout no build up or no after math.... who's Toney Jones any way, aiint never heard of him...........Rockin'
          Ha ha ha that's funny.

Comment

There's a really good book you should check out called Dark Trade. A journalist spends time with a few different boxers, James Toney is one he gets to know most but also Roy Jones, de la Hoya, Tyson, Hamed, Michael Watson and others. It covers from before Toney-Nunn (the author actually comes to the ring with JT from what I recall) and ends sometime after Toney's fights with Griffin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
              I remember someone posting a really good article a while back. It was about the build up and aftermath of the jones-toney fight
              This I have to see!

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
              There's a really good book you should check out called Dark Trade. A journalist spends time with a few different boxers, James Toney is one he gets to know most but also Roy Jones, de la Hoya, Tyson, Hamed, Michael Watson and others. It covers from before Toney-Nunn (the author actually comes to the ring with JT from what I recall) and ends sometime after Toney's fights with Griffin.
              "Dark Trade: Lost in Boxing", right? I'll check it out. :thumb1:

Comment

When Toney beat Iran Barkley, Jones Jr knocked out Glenn Wolfe in the first round on the undercard.

Wolfe in his previous fight lasted the distance with James Toney.

Comment

Then three if you count the one where they fought each other.

Comment

Working...
                  X