Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really?.... does Floyd Mayweather Jr have a following in the UK?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really?.... does Floyd Mayweather Jr have a following in the UK?

"Mayweather eyes U.K. fight

April, 30, 2013 10:32 AM ET

By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. has never boxed outside of the United States as a professional and has not fought outside of Las Vegas since a 2005 fight against Sharmba Mitchell, which took place in Portland, Ore. That’s eight consecutive fights in Sin City.

Yet Mayweather...... has often mentioned the possibility of going on the road, specifically to the United Kingdom, at some point before his career is over.

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather’s adviser, reiterated that prospect, saying that Mayweather hopes to fight there at some point in the next 18 months.

“Floyd cannot wait until we can come over there and give the U.K. fans a big, big fight,” Ellerbe said. “Floyd has a tremendous fan base in the U.K. and we're looking at working on something now where he's going to come over there. Ever since the Ricky Hatton fight back in 2007, U.K. fans have been very loyal to Floyd and he definitely acknowledges that and he wants to bring a big, big event to the U.K.

“There's definitely a very strong possibility that Floyd will fight in the U.K. We'll see how this thing plays out. His focus is Saturday night and then we'll go from there. But we're definitely going to bring a big, big event to the U.K.”

I will, of course, believe it when I see it. The “Money” man loves Las Vegas, which is where he also lives and trains. I’d say there’s at least a remote chance of it happening.

Fighting overseas is complicated because of the need to time the main event to United States primetime for pay-per-view purposes, but you never know.

If Mayweather did take his game to the U.K., it would not surprise me at all if he faced England’s Amir Khan, a former unified junior welterweight titlist. Khan tested the welterweight waters on Saturday night, struggling to a 12-round decision win against Julio Diaz in a fight with a contract weight of 143 pounds. But if Mayweather did pick him to fight, it would probably be an easy deal to make because Khan is with Golden Boy Promotions, the company that will be promoting Mayweather’s seventh consecutive fight on Saturday night".
    Amir Khan
    20.00%
    Kell Brook
    0.00%
    Brian Rose
    20.00%
    Manny Pacquiao
    60.00%
    Other
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by tacoboxer; 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM.

Originally posted by tacoboxer View Post
    "Mayweather eyes U.K. fight.....
    I'm curious to hear from the UK Fight Fans.... what kind of following does FMJ have in the UK?

Does he really have a big enough following to sell-out Wembley Stadium?

If so, what kind of opponent would it take to make this fight in the next 18 months?

What I am looking for is the level of interest in seeing a FMJ fight in the UK...

Who would the opponent need to be for you to buy a ticket and see the fight live?

What kind of opponent would he need to face to create the type of "buzz" needed to sell a super-fight?

Comment

He doesn't have a huge following at all. However if he came, every person who boxes, trains etc... would show up. Our celebs who know boxing would too.

If he went to a gym near me, I would definitely try and see him.

Comment

Originally posted by tacoboxer View Post
        I'm curious to hear from the UK Fight Fans.... what kind of following does FMJ have in the UK?

Does he really have a big enough following to sell-out Wembley Stadium?

If so, what kind of opponent would it take to make this fight in the next 18 months?

What I am looking for is the level of interest in seeing a FMJ fight in the UK...

Who would the opponent need to be for you to buy a ticket and see the fight live?

What kind of opponent would he need to face to create the type of "buzz" needed to sell a super-fight?
        All of my friends that box love and will definitely go to the fight. All of them love him and think he's untouchable.

Comment

boxing fans know him, boxers know him but he isn't a star to the general public.

Only two american fighters hold that honour, Ali and Tyson.

Comment

Working...
          X