No announcement yet.

R I P Gill Scott Heron

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R I P Gill Scott Heron

Musician and poet Gil Scott-Heron died yesterday at the age of 62 having fallen ill after a European trip.

Jamie Byng, his UK publisher, announced news of his death, tweeting: "Just heard the very sad news that my dear friend and one of the most inspiring people I've ever met, the great Gil Scott-Heron, died today."

Known as the 'Godfather of Rap', Scott-Heron's spoken-word recordings are widely credited with helping to shape hip-hop and generations of rappers cite his work as an influence.

At his peak during the late 1960s and early 1970s, Scott-Heron's spoken word recordings fused poetry, soul, blues and jazz (which he referred to as "bluesology") and took on the serious political issues of his day, including apartheid in South Africa and nuclear arms.

He was best known for 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised', the critically-acclaimed recording from his first album 'Small Talk at 125th and Lenox', and his collaborations with jazz/funk legend Brian Jackson.

Scott-Heron, who was HIV positive, battled drug addiction through most of his career and spent time behind bars for possession.

Last year, he released his first album for 16 years, I'm New Here, to positive reviews.
Working...
X