Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Crawford’s Star Turn Not Yet Complete

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Crawford’s Star Turn Not Yet Complete

by David P. Greisman - This was the night that Terence Crawford needed.

He fought on HBO for the fourth time in his pro career. He headlined in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, in front of an announced crowd of nearly 11,000 people. He made the first defense of the lightweight world title he’d won this past March from Ricky Burns. And he succeeded, stopping Yuriorkis Gamboa via ninth-round technical knockout, excelling and exciting in what has been described as a star-making performance.

Crawford had to adjust to some early difficulty against Gamboa. It’s actually better for him that the bout unfolded that way.

Gamboa captured gold in the 2004 Olympics and had previously been a featherweight titleholder in the pro ranks. He was undefeated coming into the Crawford fight but had lost the momentum he’d gathered and the respect he’d garnered earlier in his career.

He’d gone from blowouts of Rogers Mtagwa and Jorge Solis and wins over Orlando Salido and Daniel Ponce de Leon to sitting on the shelf. He’d parted with promoter Top Rank, which sold his contractual rights to rapper 50 Cent’s fledgling company. He had fought only twice since — once, after 15 months out of the ring, in a win over Michael Farenas that came, amusingly, on the undercard of a Top Rank-promoted pay-per-view in December 2012; and in June 2013, when he outpointed Darlys Perez in a boring bout on HBO underneath Adonis Stevenson’s knockout of Chad Dawson.

Gamboa was coming back this past Saturday from a yearlong layoff. He hadn’t accomplished anything of note at junior lightweight beyond winning a meaningless interim title against Farenas, and his sole lightweight victory of note came against Perez, also for an interim belt. He had been implicated in early 2013 as being one of numerous pro athletes to receive performance-enhancing drugs from the Biogenesis clinic in Florida. [Click Here To Read More]

Good read from David P. Greisman.

Comment

Hmmm, it's interesting that Klitschko doesn't seem interested in submitting to PED testing as Pulev has.

Comment

Although Crawford did a good job of adjusting to Gamboa, I'm not completely convinced yet. Gamboa's a little man, as David pointed out, and Crawford rehydrated three weight classes. Yet Gamboa was able to hurt him. We'll see how he does against larger foes.

Comment

He's on his way up to jr welterweight and Gamboa should be fling down to jr lightweight. And he won't become a star cuz he doesn't act a fool. Sad but true.

Comment

Floyd at Fat Burger, now Vazquez at McDonalds. These guys have burned out their tastebuds. McSalad, please, and that may be pesticide poluted.

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you but I have zero shame in streaming PPV fights. ATM I make a buck more than NYS minimum wage and I can't afford the 8 $60+ PPVs on top of a year long HBO subscription. Heck I don't even have cable so the only way I can watch FNF is on a stream.

I just don't understand why boxing is one of the very few sports that broadcasts its major stars on a channel that requires you to pay twice when the vast majority of other sports are available on tv and on legal streams. If the trend for the future is more and more fights on PPV than I'm done as a fan of the sport. Its not a mark of honor to say 'I paid XXX dollars to see all the fights' it just means that the sport is hustling you.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post

He fought on HBO for the fourth time in his pro career. He headlined in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, in front of an announced crowd of nearly 11,000 people. He made the first defense of the lightweight world title he’d won this past March from Ricky Burns. And he succeeded, stopping Yuriorkis Gamboa via ninth-round technical knockout, excelling and exciting in what has been described as a star-making performance.

Crawford had to adjust to some early difficulty against Gamboa. It’s actually better for him that the bout unfolded that way.

Gamboa captured gold in the 2004 Olympics and had previously been a featherweight titleholder in the pro ranks. He was undefeated coming into the Crawford fight but had lost the momentum he’d gathered and the respect he’d garnered earlier in his career.

He’d gone from blowouts of Rogers Mtagwa and Jorge Solis and wins over Orlando Salido and Daniel Ponce de Leon to sitting on the shelf. He’d parted with promoter Top Rank, which sold his contractual rights to rapper 50 Cent’s fledgling company. He had fought only twice since — once, after 15 months out of the ring, in a win over Michael Farenas that came, amusingly, on the undercard of a Top Rank-promoted pay-per-view in December 2012; and in June 2013, when he outpointed Darlys Perez in a boring bout on HBO underneath Adonis Stevenson’s knockout of Chad Dawson.

Gamboa was coming back this past Saturday from a yearlong layoff. He hadn’t accomplished anything of note at junior lightweight beyond winning a meaningless interim title against Farenas, and his sole lightweight victory of note came against Perez, also for an interim belt. He had been implicated in early 2013 as being one of numerous pro athletes to receive performance-enhancing drugs from the Biogenesis clinic in Florida. [Click Here To Read More]
                his win over lackey ricky burns shouldnt be listed. no statis there.

Comment

Vazquez signing with Haymon was the worst thing to happen for any further hopes for Crawford in the lightweights. Vazquez would have been a real indicator of where Crawford is at. So if he goes to the light welters, who's his next fight? Provodnikov or Algieri? I'd personally like to see him make 135 one more time for a unification fight with Richar Abril.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post

He fought on HBO for the fourth time in his pro career. He headlined in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, in front of an announced crowd of nearly 11,000 people. He made the first defense of the lightweight world title he***8217;d won this past March from Ricky Burns. And he succeeded, stopping Yuriorkis Gamboa via ninth-round technical knockout, excelling and exciting in what has been described as a star-making performance.

Crawford had to adjust to some early difficulty against Gamboa. It***8217;s actually better for him that the bout unfolded that way.

Gamboa captured gold in the 2004 Olympics and had previously been a featherweight titleholder in the pro ranks. He was undefeated coming into the Crawford fight but had lost the momentum he***8217;d gathered and the respect he***8217;d garnered earlier in his career.

He***8217;d gone from blowouts of Rogers Mtagwa and Jorge Solis and wins over Orlando Salido and Daniel Ponce de Leon to sitting on the shelf. He***8217;d parted with promoter Top Rank, which sold his contractual rights to rapper 50 Cent***8217;s fledgling company. He had fought only twice since ***8212; once, after 15 months out of the ring, in a win over Michael Farenas that came, amusingly, on the undercard of a Top Rank-promoted pay-per-view in December 2012; and in June 2013, when he outpointed Darlys Perez in a boring bout on HBO underneath Adonis Stevenson***8217;s knockout of Chad Dawson.

Gamboa was coming back this past Saturday from a yearlong layoff. He hadn***8217;t accomplished anything of note at junior lightweight beyond winning a meaningless interim title against Farenas, and his sole lightweight victory of note came against Perez, also for an interim belt. He had been implicated in early 2013 as being one of numerous pro athletes to receive performance-enhancing drugs from the Biogenesis clinic in Florida. [Click Here To Read More]
                    You make the mistake of conflating streaming and downloading, when only streaming is the true alternative to paying to watch the event live. For those who've tried to stream, you can confirm that the video quality is quite low. I doubt that the people willing to sit through very poor video/audio quality are the type that would've paid for the event they are streaming.

Downloading files may arguably compete against the rerun of a PPV fight, but that's quite a different issue from that of PPV numbers.

Using "Game of Thrones" download numbers without proper context is misleading. What is the total number of GOT viewers? What percentage of those who watched live did so through illegal streaming? How many who did watch through streaming or downloaded files would've paid to legally watch the tv program?

In my opinion, the lack of PPV buys is not due to the high number of PPV events, but primarily due to the unreasonably, outrageously, exorbitantly high cost of each of them.
                    Last edited by liuj88; 07-05-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X