No announcement yet.

End of an era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is indeed.

In the coming years the sport will lose the likes of Mayweather, Marquez, Hopkins, Pacquiao, Martinez, Cotto, Vitali....even guys like Carl Froch who are still at their best are up there in age as far as boxing goes.

It'll be sad when those guys are gone, even more so when there aren't too many of the newer/younger guys that capture the imagination like they did, at least not for me.

Comment

I miss 2008-2009

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
        I'm starting to feel like this era is coming to an end

Martinez is in the later years of his prime. I'm not sure how long he may have left, especially with his style of boxing

We also saw Cotto lose to Trout, a newcomer onto the top scene. Many calls for him to retire. He seems to want to focus more on his kids.

Vitali's reign seems closer to an end. We've seen our k2 duo since 2008, weird to think how one may retire.

Mayweather may not be fighting much longer, we have yet to see how his jail time has affected him. His outing against Cotto wasn't impressive

We obviously saw Pacquaio knocked out, with calls before the fight that he was fading already. Along with this, we have Marquez who's probably on the edge of retirement, as he admitted yesterday

How could I forget, the great Bernard Hopkins. He broke records, but its impossible to keep going like that without turning into an Ali/Jones, and fighting we past their primes (Thanks to JmH Reborn)

Obviously this isn't everyone, but that's a few top fighters in boxing today.
        Perhaps we start a new era very soon?

Your thoughts?
        This is exactly how it winds down. All are getting to the age that it will be soon they start getting beat by fighters that never would have beat them in their prime. I'm glad its winding down. I feel we were cheated out of the biggest fight of this era by the two greatest fighters, Pac and May. Neither did what they had to do to make that fight happen. I hope Manny retires and I hope someone beats the socks off Mayweather soon. We are already seeing what the future looks like with Broner, Canelo and a few others. I look forward to seeing what this new crop of fighters can do in boxing.

Comment

Maybe in the next "era", Ward may get his dues. I can't think of any unbeatable yet unexciting (to most, not me) fighters, so I dont know how itll play out.

If its the likes of Broner taking over, with the same personality he has now, ill have heavy boxing nostalgia yearning for the good old days. I have nothing against his boxing abilities, but I really dont want him representing the face of boxing.

I didn't mention Wlad, but hes getting on too. Not sure how long Wlad himself actually has left either.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
            I miss 2008-2009
            2007 and 2008 were awesome years for boxing.

Originally posted by RossCA View Post
            I feel we were cheated out of the biggest fight of this era by the two greatest fighters, Pac and May.
            It would have been the biggest fight, but would it have been competitive? What if the whole world would have watched a guy get clearly outboxed in a quiet fight? Imagine the disappointment.

Comment

But even if it was a disappointing at least it would have happened and we wouldn't be saying 'if' and speculating all the time though no?

Ah well, don't think it'll ever happen now...But I'll still hope =)

Comment

Originally posted by KRAFTSMAN View Post
                It will never be the same again.

It's a very different era we are living in. It's the age of wireless phones, ipads, e-readers, twitting, facebooking... I don't see a lot of young people watching sports anymore. Anything can distract them. They can't focus on one single thing. Boxing is one the last sports they would spend time watching. Especially when they see fights that are more focused on defense rather than offense.
                I really think this only applies to America and the developed nations. The vast majority of kids living in poor countries like Mexico don't have all those distractions. They don't even have a pot to piss in let alone a iPad. Boxing is bigger than ever worldwide, it's only lost its popularity in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                  2007 and 2008 were awesome years for boxing.

It would have been the biggest fight, but would it have been competitive? What if the whole world would have watched a guy get clearly outboxed in a quiet fight? Imagine the disappointment.
                  The disappointment of it not happening is worse

Comment

ive been saying this
                    out with the old in with the knew same thing every era in boxing

floyd
                    pac
                    b hop
                    cotto
                    marg
                    mosley
                    hatton
                    klitschkos
                    martinez
                    jmm (steroid permitting )

future dont look so bad not as many greatys as last gen but we got WARD ,BRONER,ALVERZ,JCC JR,GGG! ,GAMBOA,DONAIR!,BRADLEY ,TROUT,GARCIA

IM EXCITED

Comment

It's definitely apparent that the last era is definitely on it's last legs.

The new breed and storming in and kicking down the doors.

Comment

Working...
                      X