No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto: Juanma Did Not Have To Open His Mouth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto: Juanma Did Not Have To Open His Mouth

WBA 154-pound champion Miguel Cotto recently discussed the controversy which fell on the shoulders of his popular countryman, Juan Manuel Lopez. Two weeks ago, Juanma was hit with a one-year suspension by the Puerto Rico Boxing Commission. The PRBC punished him for the post-fight comments about referee Roberto Ramirez Sr. - which Juanma made after last month's ten round TKO loss to Orlando Salido.

[Click Here To Read More]

juanma wasnt in the right state of mind...

Comment

A 12 month suspension is way too much IMO... On a side note, this means he can't fight in Puerto Rico. However, it doesn't mean he can't fight in any other country, correct? Anybody have the correct answer to this? I remember when Margarito was suspended in California, it didn't necessarily mean he couldn't fight in other states. Big commissions like the ones in Nevada and NY would hold California's ruling; however, smaller commissions like in Virginia, Kansas, etc. wouldn't necessarily hold it. I know for a fact that the same thing happened with Mike Tyson (when he got suspended for biting Hollyfield).
      Last edited by Carlos Alberto; 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
        juanma wasnt in the right state of mind...
        wasn't in the right state of mind? he was able to recall the first fight talking about how the ref also stopped it and that was almost a year ago,he was able to recall going to the commission and how he warned them,able to recall that this ref had bets with someone juanma knew from his neighborhood ,someone not in their right state of mind wouldn't recall these things and wouldn't answer questions correctly that were being asked to him and he answered everything correctly,it's another thing to talk bad about a person but he knew what he was saying because he repeated the same thing as in the first fight thats just an excuse

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos Alberto View Post
          A 12 month suspension is way too much IMO.
          it was also way too much what he was saying,but maybe a 6 month suspension would have been ok with a 25,000 dollar fine,he needs the rest anyways after the way he's looked lately,i have a feeling he'll face someone with a weak chin and no power and then go after the weakest champ and that would be dib,thats really the only way to go,and he should forget about moving up because the wbo champ is broner,he should just stay at 126 and fight weak no power guys and then go after dib

Comment

Originally posted by lopez36 View Post
            it was also way too much what he was saying,but maybe a 6 month suspension would have been ok with a 25,000 dollar fine,he needs the rest anyways after the way he's looked lately,i have a feeling he'll face someone with a weak chin and no power and then go after the weakest champ and that would be dib,thats really the only way to go,and he should forget about moving up because the wbo champ is broner,he should just stay at 126 and fight weak no power guys and then go after dib
            You know what, I've been thinking a lot about this Ramirez guy. I'm wondering why Lopez would say something like that. Maybe he knows something we don't. After all, Ramirez did score the the Sturm vs Macklin fight 116-112 in favor of Sturm. Just saying.

Comment

Is a year long suspension really that big of a deal? Most fighters go 6-8 months in between fights anyways, and after taking beatings in two of his last three fights, a year off could be what JuanMa needs.

Comment

Cotto does practice what he preaches, that's for sure. 1 year is still too much though. The punishment doesn't fit the crime. Margacheato got a year for doing something that could have potentially killed a guy!
                Last edited by GodInFleshSuit; 04-10-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

They should have just fined him a percentage of his purse vs salido. an entire year ban is ridiculous.

Comment

well since hes with TR, how hard is it for arum to pay off NY and texas
                    Margarito got past a lifetime ban...

Comment

Working...
                    X