Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Mayweather/Ortiz enhance or take away from Mayweather's Legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twako View Post
    it didnt add any. except in the views of floyd fans.

but if he wrap up his career right now w/ this controversial win, it will tarnish his legacy.
    Are you ******ed today? his legacy is surely not affected by this, except if you are a person who has an axe to grind against floyd.

Comment

In the record books, it goes down as a ko over a real champion at welterweight. No matter how much it will be frowned upon, it's a legal win, period. It enhances his legacy, but causes debate, which in the end is still not a bad thing.

Comment

However, with father time running down the clock and this fight being one of Floyd's riskier selections in recent memory. You have to assume Floyd was hoping to get a lot more credit out of win than he will end up getting. I think had Floyd Knocked Ortiz out late or UD'd him while beating Ortiz down.. It would have enhanced his legacy. The way it ended, he gets the official victory but little more.

I also don't know how much it will help considering how much more do we really expect from Ortiz? Considering how flaky he's shown himself to be, I can't really pick him to do great things..

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
          In my opinion it stays the same. Fight was only 4 rounds and ended contraversially. Had Floyd KO'd Ortiz mid fight during an exchange, he would have received far more credit
          Exactly, The headbutt can not possibly justify the cheap shots in anyway. Nobody outside of hardcore mayweather fans respect this type of win...
          Makes you wonder though a couple questions crossed my mind....

Had Ortiz cheap shotted him like that would Ortiz today have a DQ on his record?

Or

Had those shots laid out Ortiz, and something seriously bad happend to him such as being put in a coma or something, how would the commission the ref and the sports world feel had that been the result?

Comment

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
            Exactly, The headbutt can not possibly justify the cheap shots in anyway. Nobody outside of hardcore mayweather fans respect this type of win...
            Makes you wonder though a couple questions crossed my mind....

Had Ortiz cheap shotted him like that would Ortiz today have a DQ on his record?

Or

Had those shots laid out Ortiz, and something seriously bad happend to him such as being put in a coma or something, how would the commission the ref and the sports world feel had that been the result?
            Without putting tooo much thought into it, I don't think Cortez would have counted Mayweather out. Also with that said, it's very unlikely Mayweather would ever leave himself in position to be cheap shotted..

Had Ortiz been put into a coma, it would have really made Mayweather look bad. But there would be no legal implications because it was ruled a legal blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              In the record books, it goes down as a ko over a real champion at welterweight. No matter how much it will be frowned upon, it's a legal win, period. It enhances his legacy, but causes debate, which in the end is still not a bad thing.
              News to me....

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                It's a bad sign when less than 25% of people voting think this fight does NOT enhance his legacy. Especially since for the most part legacy is decided by fan and people's perception of a fighters career.

It's like going to a taste testing, if the people don't like the taste. The food is not well rated.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
                  It's a bad sign when less than 25% of people voting think this fight does NOT enhance his legacy. Especially since for the most part legacy is decided by fan and people's perception of a fighters career.

It's like going to a taste testing, if the people don't like the taste. The food is not well rated.
                  Its not like people are being objective dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                    Its not like people are being objective dude.
                    Well it's those same non objective people who determine how Floyd's legacy is viewed. But to be fair, the majority of people are not selecting the "takes away from legacy" option but rather are selecting the "it does not affect his legacy" option. So it's not like they're just ****ting on Floyd, they just don't think it did anything for him. Which is not a good thing, b/c when you beat a young lion it should enhance your legacy. It is telling if ppl think it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                      Are you ******ed today? his legacy is surely not affected by this, except if you are a person who has an axe to grind against floyd.
                      lol at this butthurt *****. you feel the need to rescue floyd's image from the public perception? do you think wrapping up his career w/ this 'win' would be good for him in the long run?

Comment

Working...
                      X