Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does "absolute power corrupt absolutely"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does "absolute power corrupt absolutely"?

There an old axiom "absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Do you think most people can't handle having power?

I once worked with a girl who seemed very sweet and pleasant until she was promoted to supervisor, and then she became a real tyrant, reminding me of the "Nurse Rached" character in the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

Psychologists say that people who are even slightly psychopathic should never be given a position of authority.

Do you think having power changes people?
    No, people can handle being in authority
    16.67%
    No, unless the person has psychopathic tendencies to begin with
    0.00%
    Yes, some people can but many change for the worse and abuse power
    66.67%
    Yes, all people change for the worse when given power
    16.67%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post

I once worked with a girl who seemed very sweet and pleasant until she was promoted to supervisor, and then she became a real tyrant, reminding me of the "Nurse Rached" character in the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

Psychologists say that people who are even slightly psychopathic should never be given a position of authority.

complex question... its an "as above so below" kinda thing... examples for the affirmative abound...

from dictators to cult leaders to controlling nuts in a more intimate social groups like patients in a psychotherapy session... but then again maybe some examples for the negative are just being underrated by the media who always crave controversy...

having absolute power and being altruistic at the time to me feels like a myth...
    Last edited by talip bin osman; 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

absolutely...ive had similar experiences with old co-workers and family members who changed, for the worse, once they had a lil power...

just having a dinky little title like 'assistant manager' has really gone to their heads

Comment

Of course it does. But there's 2 sides to it.

Becoming a supervisor or boss of any sorts brings on new responsibilities and new problems. You no longer have to worry about just your work, you're now responsible for others'.

Being the cool guy at work is almost impossible when you're incharge because when **** goes down, ultimately, its on you.

Whenever there's a problem, the first question someone asks is "who's responsible for this"? Right?

Comment

Originally posted by [ DUBBZZ ] View Post
          Of course it does. But there's 2 sides to it.

Becoming a supervisor or boss of any sorts brings on new responsibilities and new problems. You no longer have to worry about just your work, you're now responsible for others'.

Being the cool guy at work is almost impossible when you're incharge because when **** goes down, ultimately, its on you.

Whenever there's a problem, the first question someone asks is "who's responsible for this"? Right?

that's when i go on break...then email that there's an emergency at home

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
            that's when i go on break...then email that there's an emergency at home
            Lmao!!!

They really need to stop limiting the green k's around here.

Comment

power is a drug that brings out the bully in everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post

Read "The Lucifer Effect", and you'll have your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                  complex question... its an "as above so below" kinda thing... examples for the affirmative abound...

from dictators to cult leaders to controlling nuts in a more intimate social groups like patients in a psychotherapy session... but then again maybe some examples for the negative are just being underrated by the media who always crave controversy...

having absolute power and being altruistic at the time to me feels like a myth...
                  A counter example to the OP would be Lee Kuan Yew. One case is enough to destroy the general statement. Exception to the rule is a contradiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
                    A counter example to the OP would be Lee Kuan Yew. One case is enough to destroy the general statement. Exception to the rule is a contradiction.
                    i knew that was coming...

LKY's is just too crafty to make "corruption" look very subtle...

like how does over a million dollars every month as a salary legally obtained?

Comment

Working...
                    X