Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd hadn't ducked Paul Williams, what would have been the result?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^^^^^^^^

That wasn't Williams style, and despite the significant height and reach advantages that he held over his opponents at 147 and 154, he literally fought down to his opponents level.Much more of a fighter than he ever was a boxer.

Comment

• Originally posted by RlCKY View Post
      This is an awful matchup for Floyd in every imaginable way. If Paul came into the fight jabbing well and often and didn't get discouraged by his inability to land clean solid shots, I'd give the punisher a good shot at taking the decision.
      I'm guessing uve never seen pwill fight

Comment

• Originally posted by piye View Post
        To say Floyd ducked Paul is non sense Paul couldnt draw flies to a **** and he lost to quintana pretty much killing his chances of getting a shot at the elite.

Williams was never going to get a shot at Mayweather regardless of whether he lost to Quintana or not.Let's not pretend that a loss and a lack of drawing power is why Mayweather never fought someone like Williams.

Comment

• always thought the 2 fighters that would give Floyd the most trouble were Margarito and Williams... pressure from taller fighters can make that shoulder roll and hanging on the ropes ineffective.especially when the punches are coming down on you.. floyd would have had to use his feet a lot... styles make fights and thats why Floyd is still undefeated... i like him but he doesnt take the same risks that some of his contemporarys do.... i think tony or paul could have possibly stopped Floyd... but we will never know

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• I actually never felt Williams posed any threat for Floyd to be honest. The guy threw 100 punchers per rounds, but with very little on them and very sloppily. He also had no inside game, which is something Floyd would easily exploit. Floyd would have gotten inside and worked the body or stayed mid range ready to counter.

Comment

• Paul Williams easily would have beat any top Ranked welterweight, Mayweather, Mosley, Pacquiao....all by UD..too much work rate.

Comment

• Dudes who site work rate as the key to beating Floyd just show me they literally know nothing about the sport of boxing and fighting counter punchers. It was very similar to when people said Pac's work rate was so amazing against guys like Margs, but then he fights a counter puncher like Marquez and his work rate gets almost cut in half. Someone, anyone, show me a fighter that has thrown 1,000 punches against Floyd, by all means, show me the punch stats.

Look, this is a VERY tough fight for Floyd because of Paul's size and durability, BUT NOT because of Paul's f***ing work rate. It would have been significiantly cut down against Floyd.

If Paul actually used his jab and height advantage it would have given Floyd a significant test, but we all know PW doesn't fight that way. I think Floyd would have won a tough and close UD.

It is legitimately laughable though that people are saying Paul Williams, who got out boxed by Carlos Quintana, would make Floyd quit on his stool, you guys are a joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chopper417
                  Dudes who site work rate as the key to beating Floyd just show me they literally know nothing about the sport of boxing and fighting counter punchers. It was very similar to when people said Pac's work rate was so amazing against guys like Margs, but then he fights a counter puncher like Marquez and his work rate gets almost cut in half. Someone, anyone, show me a fighter that has thrown 1,000 punches against Floyd, by all means, show me the punch stats.

Look, this is a VERY tough fight for Floyd because of Paul's size and durability, BUT NOT because of Paul's f***ing work rate. It would have been significiantly cut down against Floyd.

If Paul actually used his jab and height advantage it would have given Floyd a significant test, but we all know PW doesn't fight that way. I think Floyd would have won a tough and close UD.

It is legitimately laughable though that people are saying Paul Williams, who got out boxed by Carlos Quintana, would make Floyd quit on his stool, you guys are a joke.
                  thats not a valid argument... styles make fights....you can stop some pressure fighters from throwing punches (martinez chavez).... others keep throwing no matter what you hit them with (williams-martinez I, Cotto-Margarito)....

Comment

• Originally posted by WARQUEZ
                    Quote:

Originally Posted by inITtoWINit

His offense was his defense. P-Will's offense > Floyd's defense.

I'm starting to think most of you guys picking Paul have never watched him fight. Paul had no idea how to respond to movement either.
                    well its a competitive fight either way.... i think margarito would have a better chance only because he punches from all sorts of ridiculous angles... i still think paul would have a chance at stopping floyd for the same reasons as tony....i just think margaritos output of punches was a little less predictable...

that being said floyd has yet to prove himself against a taller pressure fighter with lots of VOLUME.... Mayweather has great eye contact... but when the punches are coming from all angles ... the shell i think would eventually crack... But if Mayweather could flex an outside game and deal with being hit more often than usual... he could pull out a victory as well... its a tough fight to call... floyd is very adaptable... but we havent seen him in a fight with guys like this... very very interesting to see his approach...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chopper417 View Post
                      Dudes who site work rate as the key to beating Floyd just show me they literally know nothing about the sport of boxing and fighting counter punchers. It was very similar to when people said Pac's work rate was so amazing against guys like Margs, but then he fights a counter puncher like Marquez and his work rate gets almost cut in half. Someone, anyone, show me a fighter that has thrown 1,000 punches against Floyd, by all means, show me the punch stats.

Great post. I agree with everything you said 100%.

All these people are citing Williams wins because of work rate, size and chin. If those are your best assets as a world class fighter you will have serious problems against a skilled technician like a Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

Working...
                      X