No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Oosthuizen Ready For Stevenson IBF Title Clash

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Team Oosthuizen Ready For Stevenson IBF Title Clash

The team of IBO champion Thomas Oosthuizen (21-0-1, 13KOs) are ready and willing to face Adonis Stevenson (19-1, 16KOs) for the vacant IBF super middleweight title.

Eddie Hearn, the promoter of IBF champion Carl Froch, is trying to reach an agreement with Sauerland Event for a rematch with WBA "regular" champion Mikkel Kessler.

The run for Kessler could cost Froch his title. The IBF ordered Froch's team to reach an agreement to face mandatory challenger Stevenson by January 15th.
    [Click Here To Read More]

This is a nice match up. Froch-Stevenson would be fireworks while it lasts but Stevenson-Oosthuizen is intriguing as well. 2 up and coming prospects squaring off, it would be a nice fight.

Comment

As far as to my knowledge The Cobra hasn't vacated yet, and it would surprise me a lot if he didn't just take the stevenson fight as an interim fight before kessler II in the summer. Stevenson & Tommy should have a fight between them to secure the winner of Kessler v Froch.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew5550 View Post
        Stevenson & Tommy should have a fight between them to secure the winner of Kessler v Froch.
        Precisely.

I think Oosthuizen is too skilful for Stevenson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          Precisely.

Except Stevenson is already the mandatory, so now that would mean risking his mandatory position that he has already earned..

And who is to say that even if the fight happened between stevenson and thomas where the winner gets the winner of Froch v Kessler, that the winner of Froch Kessler wouldnt again try to pass on the mandatory?

The IBF gave Froch time to reach an agreement with Kessler before Jan 15th, but they dont want Adonis, who has paid his sanctioning fees to position himself number 1, waiting around in the wing for nothing, which i respect. The IBF actually gives a **** about its ranked contenders and does what they are supposed to do.

It isnt even like Kessler v Froch is a true unification! Ward is the WBA Champ and Kessler is the paper champ. Kessler v Froch is a good fight without the IBF. And if Froch wanted to keep the belt, then why didnt he fight Stevenson instead of Yusuf Mack? WTF did he need a tuneup for if he blasted Bute out in 5 without ever being touched? That in itself was a tune up!

BTW i like Froch, i just hate when contenders have to wait years for their shot while the champ waits in the wings. Feel the same way about Mayweather and Pacquiao holding belts. Whats the point of trying to get ranked in the organazation where they hold titles if they cherry pick their opponents and can take a year off inbetween fights? But that is another story...........
          Last edited by jlcelestine; 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlcelestine View Post
            Except Stevenson is already the mandatory, so now that would mean risking his mandatory position that he has already earned..

And who is to say that even if the happened between stevenson and thomas, that Froch wouldnt again look for a bigger fight with someone else after he beat Kessler?

The IBF Froch time to reach an agreement with Kessler before Jan 15th, but they dont want Adonis, who has paid his sanctioning fees to position himself number 1, waiting around in the wing for nothing, which i respect. The IBF actually gives a **** about its ranked contenders and does what they are supposed to do.

It isnt even like Kessler v Froch is a true unification! Ward is the WBA Champ and Kessler is the paper champ. Kessler v Froch is a good Yusuf Mack. WTF did he need a tuneup for if he blasted Bute out in 5 without ever being touched? That in itself was a tune up!

BTW i like Froch, i just hate when contenders have to wait years for their shot while the champ waits in the wings. Feel the same way about Mayweather and Pacquiao holding belts. Whats the point of trying to get ranked in the organazation where they hold titles if they cherry pick their opponents and can take a year off inbetween fights? But that is another story...........
            They could sign it with the IBF.
            Not at all always true for the IBF, but I agree.

They aren't really posting it as a unification fight, and there's a major difference between being 'regular' champ and 'paper' champ. Kessler is certainly not paper champ.

Comment

i had a lot of typos for some reason. lol. but i fixed them. i am familiar with the english language....

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II
                Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew5550

Stevenson & Tommy should have a fight between them to secure the winner of Kessler v Froch.

Precisely.

Could be the case.

I've always said once Stevenson faces a skilled boxer who could take his firepower early on he would get beat.

Not sure how sturdy Oozy's chin is but if he could do that he could cruise to a UD. With that said I wouldn't be surprised if Stevenson declines the challenge. He might come out with some lame **** like "Who is this guy?"

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I like this fight, it's a more competitive matchup than Froch-Stevenson.

Stevenson has a chance against the less experienced Oosthuizen, but virtually no chance whatsoever of beating Froch.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
                    Could be the case.

I've always said once Stevenson faces a skilled boxer who could take his firepower early on he would get beat.

Not sure how sturdy Oozy's chin is but if he could do that he could cruise to a UD. With that said I wouldn't be surprised if Stevenson declines the challenge. He might come out with some lame **** like "Who is this guy?"

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                    I dont think declining to risk your #1 position to fight another contender is "lame". Not to say that fighters dont do it all the time, but Stevenson is in his mid 30's and has never held a world title in his short career. I think it would be smart if he made sure his next fight was the title shot he earned, or an easy tune-up similar to Froch's last fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X