Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Anyone Miss The Day Before Weigh-in?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Anyone Miss The Day Before Weigh-in?

By Cliff Rold - This was supposed to be the standard report card for the latest big title fight in the fight game. A problem came up along the way.

After Friday’s weigh-in, it’s only half a title fight.

Following Lightweight Nate Campbell’s upset, career defining win over Juan Diaz in 2008, the three and then later two-belted titlist made the most of the spotlight outside the ring. He penned some op-eds; he talked some smack. But, due in part to Joan Guzman missing weight last September, he never got back in the ring.

Clearly the layoff did not suit him.

Stepping on the scale in anticipated defense of his WBO and IBF baubles against IBF mandatory Ali Funeka (30-1-2, 25 KO), Campbell 32-5-1, 35 KO) weighed in first three and then two and half pounds over the 135 lb. limit. As has become custom, his belts are forfeit no matter what he achieves on Saturday night. [details]

Fair points, but I'm pretty convinced that fighters are a lot safer weighing in the day before. It seems to me that a significant majority of fighters would show up dehydrated and weight drained. I'm no expert, but I imagine that it is considerably more dangerous to go 10-12 rds weight-drained and dehydrated than to fight a guy ten pounds or so heavier.

Comment

this WAS a hell of a card. first mayorga pulls out then campbell cant make weight

Comment

and people wonder why the sport is hurting than these moron's pull bull**** like not making weigh etc.......great for the sport that already is hurting,and has a new black eye from the marg issue!

Comment

I wouldn't miss the day before weigh-in being scrapped and fighters having to be weighed on fight night... some people say that it is fair due to dehydration but I think if fighters can't safely fight at the weight they are challenging at and need to put on 10-15 pounds overnight then they definitely shouldn't be fighting at that weight class and should be fighting at a higher weight category where there is more competition for them.

I don't see the point in a fighter such as Antonio Margarito fighting at welterweight when he just dehydrates himself and puts on 15 pounds overnight... weighing the same as a middleweight challenging for a welterweight title, that is basically picking on the smaller guy, so I think those type of fighters should be at higher weight classes where they will get fairer competition. This is not an attack on Margarito I just used his name as an example because it was the first to come to my mind.

So yeah, if the question you was asking was 'Will you miss the day before weigh-in if it was scrapped?'... then I definitely wouldn't miss it, I think it would do Boxing some good, more people would make the weight and there would be less hype jobs... that is just my opinion anyway, other may be different which I respect.

Comment

Everyone would have to move up a couple of weight classes.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
              Fair points, but I'm pretty convinced that fighters are a lot safer weighing in the day before. It seems to me that a significant majority of fighters would show up dehydrated and weight drained. I'm no expert, but I imagine that it is considerably more dangerous to go 10-12 rds weight-drained and dehydrated than to fight a guy ten pounds or so heavier.
              Convinced why? There's never been a medical study, fatalities rates haven't decreased, and we regularly see Gatti-Gamache situations.

Comment

What happened with Guzman again? I can't remember how he couldn't make weight, but I notice no one mentions that anymore since Campbell can't make weight.

Comment

i'm for same day weigh-ins. by the time a main event fighter steps in the ring sometimes they've had as much as 36 hours to rehydrate. that's not what the sport should be about.

and as the author said, the safety thing isn't accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
                    they did it in the past all the time.
                    guys who should be in heavier weight classes should be in heavier weight classes.

Comment

Working...
                    X