Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What People Would Say to Criticize Past Fighters if the Internet Were Around Then

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ali would be todays Floyd Mayweather.

SRR would get hell for ducking Burley.

SRL would get hell for avoding Pryor.

Comment

I saw John L Sullivan just the other day while I was on the trolley.
      He was on his fancy motorwagen when I saw him stop at the pub.

Now you'd reckon him having a fight with that young feller Jim Corbett he'd be out workin them there fields out yonder, in order to get in shape.
      He's just a down right hobo these days don't yer know.

Comment

Marvin Hagler would be picking on small guys....

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
          Seeing as how much people are discussing catchweight fights now, Leonard would've gotten a lot of **** for the Lalonde bout and Hearns rematch.

Leonard did catch some flack in the boxing magazines for the Lalonde bout. Some were calling it a farce that never should've taken place.
          Leaonard got a lot of heat from the Lalonde fight. Picking the weakest champion and forcing him down in weight. Damn Leonard would have caught hell on NSB although one would think he'd have a lot of credit from the Hagler fight.

If Floyd had the balls of Ray Leonard he'd fight Pavlik just like Leonard fought Hagler even though Hagler was a much more frightening character than this days MW champ.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Leaonard got a lot of heat from the Lalonde fight. Picking the weakest champion and forcing him down in weight. Damn Leonard would have caught hell on NSB although one would think he'd have a lot of credit from the Hagler fight.

If Floyd had the balls of Ray Leonard he'd fight Pavlik just like Leonard fought Hagler even though Hagler was a much more frightening character than this days MW champ.
            Floyd did not start at 147 unlike Leonard (Ray Leonard was a big welter at that). Asking someone that started at 130 to go up to fight the top dog at 160 is ludacris~. 147 for Floyd is like 160 for Leonard, although there were no Haglers at 147 (a bunch of good fighter, but no Haglers).

Seriously you think the way that Leonard fought Hagler would garner a ton of respect around here? People back then thought that Ray Leonard did not really fight Hagler, this thought process to me is crazy but it fits the way people think around here for the most part~.

Comment

they'd say **** like:

"Ali is a trash talking coard, he wont even fight for his country."

"carlos monzon is boring as ****" (kinda like wat we say about Wlad lol)

"durans a cheating bastured."

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                Floyd did not start at 147 unlike Leonard (Ray Leonard was a big welter at that). Asking someone that started at 130 to go up to fight the top dog at 160 is ludacris~. 147 for Floyd is like 160 for Leonard, although there were no Haglers at 147 (a bunch of good fighter, but no Haglers).

Seriously you think the way that Leonard fought Hagler would garner a ton of respect around here? People back then thought that Ray Leonard did not really fight Hagler, this thought process to me is crazy but it fits the way people think around here for the most part~.
                I'd say that Leonard would get plenty respect. Even those who thought Hagler won would say that it was close. Nobody really expected Leonard to last the distance let alone make it a fight for more than a couple rounds. Of course on NSB praise will never be unanimous but I believe most posters would recognize his performance as at least very good.

Comment

I'd say that Leonard would get plenty respect. Even those who thought Hagler won would say that it was close. Nobody really expected Leonard to last the distance let alone make it a fight for more than a couple rounds. Of course on NSB praise will never be unanimous but I believe most posters would recognize his performance as at least very good.
                  People would respect Leonard leading into the fight no doubt, but after the fight I just think that people would downplay it and talk about how Leonard "ran" (this is not what I would think, this is how I think people here would view it on mass).

It would be like everything else here though some people would hate on it, some would be overly praiseful (although Leonard beating Hagler deserves a lot of praise) and some would get it just right.

I though Leonard won and my brother thought Hagler won, we have agrued about it many times, so to me it would be a very heated debate as to who people actually thought won around here which I think would lead to a hardening of stances (very few fights get argued about as long as Leonard-Hagler so what would take place here would be crazy).

Comment

I think Leonard would recieve the most Mayweather like criticism. Especially the stunt where he retired and anounced a fight between Hagler and himself would never happen? When that clip was fresh news it would have been the end of him on here.

Comment

Working...
                    X