No announcement yet.

Tips on dealing with counter punchers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on dealing with counter punchers

I am 152 lbs, and I am generally a come forward fighter whose known to have powerful punches. My footwork sucks, same with my head movement, my blocking is average and my chin is good.

I spar these two guys at my gym, one a smaller, but super good, extremely fast counter puncher. The other a bigger (hes just under 200 lbs, and 4 or 5 inches taller). Both guys wait to counter me, the tall guy i have trouble with cause he is so much taller and has a huge reach advantahe and the other guy is so fast.

No one at my gym gives me good pointers on this, half the time i get frustrated and just come forward and the guys always counter me with good shots. Everyone just says you "gotta box" "fight smart" but thats all they say, no other pointers.

Anyone got any advice?

I would incorporate some feinting into your offensive rhythm, work on slipping and weaving punches by improving your head movement, try not to be so predictable in your offense - mix it up, show your opponents different angles/ punches/ combinations, etc. Also, keep a tight guard and bring your hands right back to your guard position to block the counter punch..

Comment

Time them before they time you. That simple pretty much in saying but hell of a lot more complicated to do.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        I would incorporate some feinting into your offensive rhythm, work on slipping and weaving punches by improving your head movement, try not to be so predictable in your offense - mix it up, show your opponents different angles/ punches/ combinations, etc. Also, keep a tight guard and bring your hands right back to your guard position to block the counter punch..
        basicly the bold...and work on ur footwork..throw ur punches and move into harder angles for them to counter back...always after their counter hit them immediatly back..but basicly stay tight in ur defense like bostonguy said

Comment

thanks guys, some good tips

Comment

Key to fighting a counter puncher is distance and feints. A counter puncher wants you to initiate the attack so he can counter obviously.

So the more aggressive you are, the worse it will be for you. So find distance and use feints before coming in to throw his timing off.

Of course like another poster said, it's easier to say than do but feinting and distance is key.

I find counter punchers to be the toughest to spar.

Comment

what are feints?

Comment

Originally posted by WarMaidana View Post
                what are feints?
                Faking like you are throwing a punch....how can you not know what a feint is?

Comment

I like to counter the counter puncher.

Set traps.

Find out what punches he likes to counter, most commonly the jab.

Throw it out there KNOWING and ANTICIPATING he will counter your jab... now that you anticipate his punch to come in as soon as you throw your jab, now you have put your self in a perfect position to counter him.

You jab, he counters, and you counter his counter...

He doesn't know when you will punch, he is waiting... but you know when he will... use everything to your advantage.

Comment

1. Feint. Make them overcommit to countering when you are not actually punching.

2. Make them through first. Bait their punches.

3. Get inside. The guy who is quicker might be able to still hold this off, but the other guy won't be able to counter effectively once you are inside

Comment

Working...
                    X