No announcement yet.

One Of The Things HBO Does That Bothers Me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Of The Things HBO Does That Bothers Me

For every story to be engaging, you must have character development. If you only know one character's history, then the whole story isn't as interesting. Knowing about what makes a protagonist who they are and what makes the antagonist who THEY are allows you to either relate or understand their purpose in the plot therefore making it complete.

HBO doesn't do that. For example, when they broadcasted the Peterson fight, they did a piece on his history detailing how him and his brother got to where they are. We saw their struggles and their accomplishments as human beings and as boxers. But what about Rios?

I understand they did that because they are trying to build up fighters for HBO. But what if the opponent pulls off the upset? In the case for Rios, all the public knew was he was brought in as a test for Peterson and thats it. Just focusing on Peterson makes it seem like the fight was just a non important, keep busy, type of fight. Why would the audience really be interested in a fight that Peterson was supposed to win with some ease?

If they would have shortened up the Peterson piece and also shun some light on Rio's background, the fight would have been more interesting for the casual fan. And if Rios were to pull off the win, then there would be another fight that HBO could invest in. Rios pulled the upset, now fans would have been interested in what happens with him next.

But that most likely didn't happen. Rios won and HBO is still going to put their marketing money on Peterson.

What bothers me more is they'll take all the time showing these personal stories when they could have shown an 8 or 10 round fight in that time.

But I agree with you. It seems they want you to support "their" guy but we want to know about both of them.

Comment

That bothers me too and it basically lets you know up front that which fighter they are going to push on you and pay the judges off to give the benefit of the doubt to.

Good thing Rios derailed that hype train.

Comment

I agree on this observation, and it's quite annoying. They did these long-ass promos for Dawson (none for Pascal), Alexander (none for Urango) and Bradley (none for Abregu), yet the only thing they served to highlight was how much HBO is licking their asses.

After watching them, I ended up not really giving a shit about their oh-so 'heartwrenching' stories, and instead kinda hoped they'd lose to their lesser-heralded opponents - just to see HBO get pissed after all that hype.

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
          After watching them, I ended up not really giving a shit about their oh-so 'heartwrenching' stories, and instead kinda hoped they'd lose to their lesser-heralded opponents - just to see HBO get pissed after all that hype.
          That's exactly how I feel.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Malone View Post
              That's exactly how I feel.
              Ain't it so. And I actually like Dawson, Alexander and Bradley! :laff2: But I'm one of those guys who sometimes wishes that my favourite fighters would lose every now and again, just to make them humble.

i.e. I was disappointed in Dawson losing, but secretly I kinda wanted him to feel like he wasn't invincible anymore. If he's as good as I think he is, it'll only make him better.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelhammer2010 View Post

/////////

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
                  Ain't it so. And I actually like Dawson, Alexander and Bradley! :laff2: But I'm one of those guys who sometimes wishes that my favourite fighters would lose every now and again, just to make them humble.

i.e. I was disappointed in Dawson losing, but secretly I kinda wanted him to feel like he wasn't invincible anymore. If he's as good as I think he is, it'll only make him better.

Dawson was a poor sport after too. When guys first lose it gives you a look deeper inside their head and past their shell of overconfidence. I know my uncle and sister were huge Dawson fans and they were mad at his attitude after the fight, not that he lost...

Comment

Originally posted by Steelhammer2010 View Post

Comment

Working...
                    X