No announcement yet.

Schaefer and Dubeof plan on getting Boxing on Network TV in 2012 in US

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaefer and Dubeof plan on getting Boxing on Network TV in 2012 in US

Mailbag: Network TV bouts are on the way, according to boxing’s top promoters

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
    11 hours, 48 minutes ago
    tweet13
    Email
    Print
    Longtime boxing fans frequently lament the lack of a national television contract as one of the reasons for its struggles.

But don’t be surprised if boxing winds up on CBS at some point in 2012. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer wouldn’t identify a network, but said recently, “I am optimistic, very optimistic,” when asked if there would be boxing on network TV in the near future.

Top Rank president Todd duBoef expressed similar optimism.

Now, though, the rumblings are coming from someone with the ability to influence that decision. Stephen Espinoza, the newly appointed vice president and general manager of Showtime Sports, said he thought boxing could come to network television this year.

“There’s a decent chance of it, maybe even a good chance of it happening, in fact,” Espinoza said. “Boxing, for all of its challenges, still has a very loyal fan base, especially in the Latino and African-American demographics. Boxing has shown that, at its highest level, boxing can capture the mainstream sports, and non-sports, population.

“Whenever you have an event like [Floyd] Mayweather-[Manny] Pacquiao, or [Oscar] De La Hoya-Mayweather, capture the imagination of all sports fans and, to a certain degree, non-sports fans, you’ve got a good recipe for success.”

There is no fight lined up, there’s no date, and there’s not even a deal, but at least for the first time in a long while, there is reason to be optimistic about boxing’s return to free, over-the-air television.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...v_bouts_021412

This is what Boxing needs.

Huge step.

We only hope they make the right fights.

But just getting a slot would be major.

Comment

Bt which relative star is willing to take that paycut?

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        Bt which relative star is willing to take that paycut?
        Their's plenty of money in Network TV.

Not PPV money.

But far more than ESPN or NBC Sports.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
            I'll believe it when I see it.
            I felt like Larry David in your gif when I heard this news.

Comment

They've been planning for Mayweather to fight Pacquiao for over two years. One fight, with the highest grossing revenue in history. Expect network deal in 2016 after UFC is done growing, by then it probably won't be worth it for the promoters to help grow boxing anymore.

Comment

great news!

Comment

Good news...They should put guys like Angulo,Kirkland,Williams,Rocky Martinez on and avoid Rico Ramos type fighters. On a side note boxing imo will be much better off when Dubeof takes over Top Rank.

Comment

Originally posted by krimzon View Post
                    They've been planning for Mayweather to fight Pacquiao for over two years. One fight, with the highest grossing revenue in history. Expect network deal in 2016 after UFC is done growing, by then it probably won't be worth it for the promoters to help grow boxing anymore.
                    This makes no sense completely different demographics with relatively no crossover appeal.

Comment

Working...
                    X