My personal take on religion and beliefs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
    Why do you say that?
    i don't know man, its jus like its hard to imagin jus str8 nothingness, like somethings always hppening ya know.

idk, jus my thinking tho, but like i said, we'll all kno soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
      Religion's fine as long as it isn't imposed on those who don't believe, or used to torment kids who grow up without a choice in what to follow.
      Unless that's what God wants and you'll burn in hell for not trying to impose your religion on others. For all we know Osama bin Laden has it right. Nobody knows til its all said and done so spare us.

Comment

Originally posted by TredKiller View Post
        srry, i jus never meet anybody who shared my views.

but i jus think something happenes when u die, it cant jus be nothing, but what do we know?

lol, we'll all find out soon enough i geuss

Like the other guy said, Why?

Because you can't face that your entire existence and all your collective memories & experiences from decades living on earth will be exterminated and buried with your physical body?

Like I said in my edited part of the last post, human beings by nature are self-absorbing, hypocritical creatures. We have the intelligence to think up and think about **** like this, and it's our curse and a blessing (no pun intended) at the same time.
        Last edited by cupocity303; 08-16-2010, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I don't have a problem with religion, my problem lies with people making fun of peoples beliefs and their religion.

Comment

Personally I hate religion but I have nothing against religious people. It's just not my cup of tea. If we were told fairy tales were real from when we were born we would believe in Peter Pan and Cinderella, but instead now we believe in God and Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post

Like the other guy said, Why?

Because you can't face that your entire existence and all your collective memories & experiences from decades living on earth will be exterminated and buried with your physical body?

Like I said in my edited part of the last post, human being by nature are self-absorbing, hypocritical creatures. We have the intelligence to think up and think about **** like this, and it's our curse and a blessing (no pun intended) at the same time.
              no, because i believe in spirits, and if you wanna think in scientific terms, energy never dies, it jus goes somewhere else, same with electric energy, so why would human energy be the only energy that dies?

but like i said man, i aint bashin knowones thoughts, i mean, knowbody has the answer, we can jus wonder ya know, im liking the discussion tho.

i mean, i was brought up with cathlic parents, and a godmother who belived in reincarnation (come back as something else). so i was exposed to alot of afterlife things, but ive jus come to the conclusion that knowbody knows.

Originally posted by Addition View Post
              I don't have a problem with religion, my problem lies with people making fun of peoples beliefs and their religion.
              i feelya.

that avi is nice, go brazil lol

Comment

Originally posted by TredKiller View Post
                theres alot of threads on here every day on religion and beliefs,

i think my take on it is diffrent then most, so ill tell you guys about it.

i feel like religion, weather it be cathlic, muslum, buddist, exc. is jus something people believe to make themselves feel better about there life. contrary to most followers of religions beliefs, all religions are man made, we created the storys and ideas behind the religions. religion is something that people belive in to make themselves feel better, like its a very pleasnt thought to believe that when you die you go to a "heaven". this however doesnt make it true, but it does give an appealing thought to the mind.

personally, i believe that there is somesort of "god", or how else would the univers and everything be here? but i dont believe anything in the bible, or in any religion. i only belive that Something had to make the stars, exc. and the something happens when you die. but i dont belive any living human knows the answer to any of these questions, we just make religions to make us feel better and feel knowing about all things.

and lets not be insulting or *******ish in this thread, lets jus discuss like regular people
                That's a good point. Religion really fills a void in many people's lives. It gives people a sense of purpose and sense of community with churches and gatherings. Most homeless shelters and rehab centers are run my churches, and they accept everyone.

I was raised Catholic, went to church and Sunday school every week until I got my Confirmation when I was 15. Towards late high school, I went through a God-hating atheistic phase and I was pretty much a Nihilist in my early twenties. I was very impressionable and negative and was so intrigued by the idea that we are nothing and our world does not exist, considering how I was only exposed to the religious, Catholic was of living.

When my grandmother passed away in 2004, I realized the importance of having a belief, or even lack of one. I knew people who have died, but never a family member that I was close to.

I questioned God, heaven and hell, afterlife, our own existence. I consider myself agnostic these days. I don't believe in anything n particular, I question everything, but I don't doubt there is a higher being, greater than us.

I also believe religion gives people validation of their own lives. The world can be a very wretched place and we would all like to believe their is eternal bliss in an afterlife. Humans would like to believe that all the pain, sacrifice, and grief they've experienced in the physical world would be worth the torture if they can be accepted into eternal, spiritual bliss.

Also, when someone lives a life they perceive to be uneventful, they want to know that it doesn't matter that they lived a sheltered, almost mundane life, since they have the belief that death on earth is not the end. In can have a negative consequence as well, as people don't feel the need of living life to it's fullest.

Comment

As for an afterlife, I'm torn on that but I take great pleasure in trying to come up with all sorts of possibilities and whacky ideas - just to keep myself on my toes, if anything else. It's a fun way to occupy the mind sometimes, but not for one moment would I expect others to think the same.

When I think about all the lifeforms which have lived and died in the 4 billion years+ of Earth's existence, the only answer which comes to mind are parallel universes. Constant branch points at every quantum-level event, regardless of the presence of consciousness.

Deep shit, but I love it.

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
                  Unless that's what God wants and you'll burn in hell for not trying to impose your religion on others.
                  Then, that's the believer's problem and nobody's else. Of course, those who are having religious views imposed upon them are then free to say "Fuck off with that shit".

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
                  For all we know Osama bin Laden has it right. Nobody knows til its all said and done so spare us.
                  One could also do one better by sparing us from such tripe. If religious folks are happy, as are non-believers, then that's how it should stay. As soon as one party steps over the boundary and says "This is how you should think"... well, that's when stuff goes down.

Comment

Originally posted by Addition View Post
                    Agreed. I used be like that for a while but not anymore. Condescending religious people used to piss me off and I had to get my digs in and respond to them in the same condescending way.

But i've realized that it's pointless. There are agressive Atheists out there who get their rocks off, making fun of and debating Religion against believers but it's not for me.

You're never gonna get rid of Religion as long as Human beings can think and you're not gonna get rid of non-believers either. The best thing would be that all would just realize that it's best to keep your personal beliefs In-House, behind closed doors. And not flaunt your Religion or Atheism in public.

Everybody should just keep their mouth shut about faith, unless they have some new factual evidence towards their position. In my opinion but everybody's got their own way of killing time.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
                      That's a good point. Religion really fills a void in many people's lives. It gives people a sense of purpose and sense of community with churches and gatherings. Most homeless shelters and rehab centers are run my churches, and they accept everyone.

I was raised Catholic, went to church and Sunday school every week until I got my Confirmation when I was 15. Towards late high school, I went through a God-hating atheistic phase and I was pretty much a Nihilist in my early twenties. I was very impressionable and negative and was so intrigued by the idea that we are nothing and our world does not exist, considering how I was only exposed to the religious, Catholic was of living.

When my grandmother passed away in 2004, I realized the importance of having a belief, or even lack of one. I knew people who have died, but never a family member that I was close to.

I questioned God, heaven and hell, afterlife, our own existence. I consider myself agnostic these days. I don't believe in anything n particular, I question everything, but I don't doubt there is a higher being, greater than us.

I also believe religion gives people validation of their own lives. The world can be a very wretched place and we would all like to believe their is eternal bliss in an afterlife. Humans would like to believe that all the pain, sacrifice, and grief they've experienced in the physical world would be worth the torture if they can be accepted into eternal, spiritual bliss.

Also, when someone lives a life they perceive to be uneventful, they want to know that it doesn't matter that they lived a sheltered, almost mundane life, since they have the belief that death on earth is not the end. In can have a negative consequence as well, as people don't feel the need of living life to it's fullest.
                      my boy blaze.

gr8 post, ill green k you when i can again,

i agree with alot of it man.

as i got older i stopped questioning things like after life, because i jus figured the truth.... that knowbody living knows what happens when you die.

Comment

Working...
                      X