Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kelly Pavlik was a "slick boxer" in the amatures?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Pavlik was a "slick boxer" in the amatures?

I was reading a Ring Magazine interview with Pavlik and his trainer, they were saying he was a fast, slick boxer in the amatures with very little power. They actually thought because he had such little power, he probably wouldn't make it that far in the pros. Then, one day when Pavlik was 17 he said he started knocking people out in sparring. It literally happened over night. From there on out he knocked everyone out.

that's funny to me.

It can happen in a young age, a slight change in the punching technique can do that. Raw power is born with you but you still need to learn how to use it.

Comment

what's funny is he says nothing changed in his punching technique, everyting was exactly the same. Only difference were people were dropping from his punches.

Must have been maturity or something.

Comment

something similar is said to have happened to Herans, as an amature was a boxer, as a pro the power was there

Comment

What weight was he fighting at?

Comment

he was a 3 time amature champion. I never seen him fight amature so i couldnt tell you. I know he did lose to jose celaya in the amatures. The same celaya got knocked out by chavez jr earlier this year.

Comment

If he didn't change his punching technique then it's probably his body growing.

Hearns was a little different because Steward actually did change Hearns' punching technique, especially in the right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                What weight was he fighting at?
                147lbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by rogelio1289 View Post
                  he was a 3 time amature champion. I never seen him fight amature so i couldnt tell you. I know he did lose to jose celaya in the amatures. The same celaya got knocked out by chavez jr earlier this year.
                  celaya was supposed to be a great pro, didn't happen for some reason the success as an amature didn't happen as a pro but he made a name as a contender

Comment

Originally posted by rogelio1289 View Post
                    interesting. cute broad in your avatar btw

Comment

Working...
                    X