No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: B-Scene Staff Predictions: 'MAY DAY' PPV Sales

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: B-Scene Staff Predictions: 'MAY DAY' PPV Sales

Several challenges are in store for Floyd Mayweather on Saturday evening, not all of which exist in the ring. Conversely, the more difficult challenge for the sport's pound-for-pound king may not come from the fists of Robert Guerrero, but from his ability to carry an event on his own.

Tonight's pay-per-view event serves as Mayweather's debut with Showtime after having spent the majority of his career on longtime industry leader HBO. Showtime has dramatically closed the gap between the two, even winning in the ratings during dueling televised cards on April 27.

Still, this pay-per-view telecast comes without a marketable B-side - Guerrero's story is well-known in boxing circles, but hardly a mainstream attraction. The show also serves as the first time since 2009 in which Mayweather will not benefit from Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez serving as part of the supporting cast.

The show was originally designed for the two to appear in separate bouts. However, Alvarez opted out after unsuccessfuly securing a guarantee from Mayweather and the event's handlers that a head-on collision was in store for September.

That leaves Mayweather's name to carry the show.

Will it be enough to continue his current run of surpassing the one-million pay-per-view units sold plateau (which also happens to be the unofficial break-even point)?

Read on to see how the staff at Boxingscene.com believes tonight's major event will fare at the box office. [Click Here To Read More]

1.4 million.... you kidding me?

Comment

675k?? Come on now. May could get in there by himself and shadowbox and draw that.

Comment

Already one robbery tonight..97-92 for Love? G T F O H!!! Dude ate rights all night long..virtually the only round that judge gave rosado was the knockdown round...what fraudulent bullshttttt!!!

Comment

No higher than 800k

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
            Already one robbery tonight..97-92 for Love? G T F O H!!! Dude ate rights all night long..virtually the only round that judge gave rosado was the knockdown round...what fraudulent bullshttttt!!!
            Co-sign. That was some b u l l s h i t.

Comment

I'm gonna guess 900k. Really don't think it's gonna hit a mil, but Showtime will tell us it did lol.

Comment

I'm thinking 900K-1.0M

I use to say 1.0-1.15M but I don't think so anymore. If Floyd does 1 million plus, it's a miracle, given Guerrero's name is not known whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  675k?? Come on now. May could get in there by himself and shadowbox and draw that.
                  Interestingly, that prediction was made by the great Eaner, who posts here. Or did, for a long time. Very, very knowledgable on the sport, though that figure does sound very low. Though I really don't know much about PPV numbers and how one can predict these.

Comment

I will just say the free streams are excellent tonight!!

Comment

Working...
                    X