No announcement yet.

Orlando Canizales.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando Canizales.

One of the great fighters of 20 years ago.

Of his 5 losses FOUR were either split decision or majority decision & the other was an early career loss against LA Olympian Paul Gonzales who was vastly more experienced (if not in professional terms).

Made 16 defences of his IBF Bantamweight title & had a decent KO record for a bantie too. A good solid fighter.

Anyone know what he's up to nowadays?

Originally posted by taansend View Post
    One of the great fighters of 20 years ago.

Of his 5 losses FOUR were either split decision or majority decision & the other was an early career loss against LA Olympian Paul Gonzales who was vastly more experienced (if not in professional terms).

Made 16 defences of his IBF Bantamweight title & had a decent KO record for a bantie too. A good solid fighter.

Anyone know what he's up to nowadays?
    He's living a normal life in Laredo, TX. Believe he runs a boxing gym for young kids...and was recently married.

I thought he was one of the most beautiful boxers ever. His footwork was just incredible...and he used it more to set up his textbook-perfect power punches than he did for defense. I don't think he had the toughest competition during his reign, so I'm not 100% sure those things I saw from him would work the same against the elite. That said, I think he'd trouble any 118lber from any era and I think none of them take him out inside the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      He's living a normal life in Laredo, TX. Believe he runs a boxing gym for young kids...and was recently married.

I thought he was one of the most beautiful boxers ever. His footwork was just incredible...and he used it more to set up his textbook-perfect power punches than he did for defense. I don't think he had the toughest competition during his reign, so I'm not 100% sure those things I saw from him would work the same against the elite. That said, I think he'd trouble any 118lber from any era and I think none of them take him out inside the distance.
      Thanks Mate. I don't think I ever saw him that troubled. Billy Hardy gave him a tough battle in Sunderland but the real Orlando turned up in their rematch.

The WBA was switching hands like crazy during his reign but the WBC had good champions in in Raul Perez & Victor Rabanales during Orlando's time as Champ. I don't think he fought either one but both would have been good bouts.

Comment

Trivial tidbit,
        Orlando and his brother Gaby were the first brothers to hold a title at the same time when Gaby knocked out Miguel Lora for the WBO version of the bantamweight belt.

Comment

That first Hardy fight, hardy made Canizalez come to him. The 2nd fight, Orlando countered him.

Comment

Finally, I remember making a thread about him some time back. He's really underrated and his style was just so fluid. Had nice pop in his right hand considering he was actually left handed. His footwork is one of the best I've seen as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              Trivial tidbit,
              Orlando and his brother Gaby were the first brothers to hold a title at the same time when Gaby knocked out Miguel Lora for the WBO version of the bantamweight belt.
              Miguel Lora. One of the best boxing nicknames EVER!!! Happy. Just saying it makes me smile.

Then Gaby was beaten by one of my all time favourite fighters, Duke "the Animal" McKenzie. He's still an angry man to this very day

Comment

Fantastic fighter with almost every skill in the book, his competition didnt match his potential though, some of his title defences were against very mediocre opponents.

Comment

Working...
                X