Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou Dibella gives Dana White a big thumbs up!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
    Another side note, as far as boxing PPVs go.

When fights end early on UFC PPV undercards, they fill the time not by having Joe Rogan babble for 45 minutes, but they actually air the fights that took place before the televised card took place, to fill the time.

Seems like a simple idea, but it really makes their customers feel like they're getting their money's worth.
    This is something that also serves to invest in the longevity of the sport in a couple different ways.

Not only do the fans get more fights for their money, but they also get to know the names on the undercard. This way the fan keeps coming back because he was happy with the amount of action last time, and 4yrs down the road he's still watching the UFC and saying "I remember when this guy KO'd the hell out of so and so at UFC 65" about the guy who's now a big draw because the UFC put his fight on the broadcast 4yrs ago and he delivered.

Boxing doesn't do this. In boxing, it's all about tonight and even worse, it's all about the main event and the marquee names. That's why promoters are still trying to squeeze every dime they can out of aging fighters like RJJ, Hopkins, Holyfield etc. The up and comers get about a heartbeat's worth of time on the PPV broadcast at best. Nobody gets any airtime until they have a belt.

As for the HBO deal, it apparently fell through not because of money, but because Dana wouldn't forfeit production rights to HBO. He wanted to use his own production staff and HBO did as well, and a stalemate ensued. Progress was being made and the president of HBO was on Dana's side but was having difficulty with the president of HBO sports. Then the president of HBO was forced to resign for apparently beating up his girlfriend, the president of sports was promoted and the deal went cold.
    Last edited by Soda Popinski; 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soda Popinski View Post
      This is something that also serves to invest in the longevity of the sport in a couple different ways.

Not only do the fans get more fights for their money, but they also get to know the names on the undercard. This way the fan keeps coming back because he was happy with the amount of action last time, and 4yrs down the road he's still watching the UFC and saying "I remember when this guy KO'd the hell out of so and so at UFC 65" about the guy who's now a big draw because the UFC put his fight on the broadcast 4yrs ago and he delivered.

Boxing doesn't do this. In boxing, it's all about tonight and even worse, it's all about the main event and the marquee names. That's why promoters are still trying to squeeze every dime they can out of aging fighters like RJJ, Hopkins, Holyfield etc. The up and comers get about a heartbeat's worth of time on the PPV broadcast at best.

As for the HBO deal, it apparently fell through not because of money, but because Dana wouldn't forfeit production rights to HBO. He wanted to use his own production staff and HBO did as well, and a stalemate ensued. Progress was being made and the president of HBO was on Dana's side but was having difficulty with the president of HBO sports. Then the president of HBO was forced to resign for apparently beating up his girlfriend, the president of sports was promoted and the deal went cold.

Thanks for the insight!

Comment

Originally posted by deevel79 View Post
        Why do u feel that what i said is so far fetched? Showtime gave EliteXC a deal prior to them going under, and they were a much smaller organization than UFC. UFC has been putting up some pretty good ppv numbers.
        Hate to burst the bubble, but EXC got on Showtime due to Shaw.

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
        Boxing does cater to us. I wish i could go to the every single boxing live show in or around my Country but i can't. Do you have intentions to see live boxing not just on tv?

Its these small boxing shows that make the superstar you pay to see on tv. But without these small boxing shows being supported by us, the boxing fans. There would be less and less shows, meaning less fighters get to fight and practice there talent. All together less fighters. In all short if no one supports the live boxing shows, the small and big time boxing shows the sport can die.

Ufc, i've read get a good showing of boxin fans that go to there shows on and off the air. And off air shows are big show and not small shows cause the people show supports.

You want boxing to be better, support you're local shows. They are catering to you. What do you want to alway see your favorite boxer fight and only him? Then i'd ask, are you a boxing fan?
        Going to local shows doesn't help the overall product. Sure, it gets the fighter the step in the right direction, but if you get him to the pros and either not show his fights in the undercard or worse, do interviews while he's fighting, If he finally gets TV time, nobody would know **** about him and if he loses a real close fight, people wouldn't give a ****. They just see him as a chump and he'll spend the rest of his career floating till hopeful, something lucky happens.

Comment

Boxing events are just too top heavy, there needs to be better undercards. I'd love to see Cunningham vs Adamek II on the Hatton-Pacquiao undercard.
          ________
          ****tibe
          Last edited by FreshPrince; 03-28-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X