No announcement yet.

I think you guys need to realize something about trainers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you guys need to realize something about trainers

Choosing a trainer isnt just about what advice they give in the corner. Its about their entire camp. While you would prefer the advice of someone like Manny Steward in the corner, as a fighter you might want to pick someone like Roach instead, simply because by choosing them as a trainer you have access to very high level sparring, a top of the line conditioning coach in Ariza, and lots of good quality training equipment.

and just because a trainer has good 'ideas', doesnt mean theyre necessarily a good fit for every fighter. ie Mayweather Sr trying to make Hatton into something hes not, and he simply got one sidedly ktfo when he had the ability to make the fight at least semi competitive with his more natural mauling style.

Boxing isnt as simple as 'oh, this trainer is da best, and these guys suck'.

mayweather sr. would definitely make khan what he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      Choosing a trainer isnt just about what advice they give in the corner. Its about their entire camp. While you would prefer the advice of someone like Manny Steward in the corner, as a fighter you might want to pick someone like Roach instead, simply because by choosing them as a trainer you have access to very high level sparring, a top of the line conditioning coach in Ariza, and lots of good quality training equipment.

and just because a trainer has good 'ideas', doesnt mean theyre necessarily a good fit for every fighter. ie Mayweather Sr trying to make Hatton into something hes not, and he simply got one sidedly ktfo when he had the ability to make the fight at least semi competitive with his more natural mauling style.

I'd prefer advice from Roach in the corner than Steward.

"Let your hands go" and nothing else doesn't do it for me.

Comment

Well it was Hatton who hired Sr to try and up his defensive game. Senior was just doing his job, Hatton failed to use one ounce of defense in the Pacquiao fight. I didn't see Hatton use anything Sr tought him in 24/7. Dawson and Guzman both did pretty good with their short time with Sr.

Comment

Actually I agree, which makes me wonder a lot about fighters themselves who change trainers like gym socks and then BLAME these very trainers when the end-result is a loss (i.e. DLH)...

Comment

I agree, Steak!! I always say, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE BEST TRAINER IN THE WORLD...the best trainer/cpoach for one guy may be the worst for another...so many things come into play...

Comment

ie Mayweather Sr trying to make Hatton into something hes not, and he simply got one sidedly ktfo when he had the ability to make the fight at least semi competitive with his more natural mauling style.
              Finally, someone else who sees this.

I get soooo tired of hearing about how Hatton abandoned the awesome new skills he showcased against Paulie and regressed to his 'old self' in the fight with Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                Well it was Hatton who hired Sr to try and up his defensive game. Senior was just doing his job, Hatton failed to use one ounce of defense in the Pacquiao fight. I didn't see Hatton use anything Sr tought him in 24/7. Dawson and Guzman both did pretty good with their short time with Sr.
                Well thats the point, wasnt it? Hatton went to Sr because he thought he was the better trainer, but it just wasnt a good fit. And using defense was never Hatton's style, he just needed to bull into people and maul them. He spent way too much of his short alive time looking at Pacquiao tentatively instead of just bulling into him from the start. Hatton never had a chance in the first place since he sucks vs southpaws, but he could have at least made it more competitive with a more appopriate strategy.

Heres another example. DLH paired with Sr, and yet struggled against Vargas in a fight he probably should have won much easier. That defensive style just did not fit DLH at all, it wasnt a good fit.
                Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                I'd prefer advice from Roach in the corner than Steward.

"Let your hands go" and nothing else doesn't do it for me.
                It was just an example and people know Steward, I wasnt really being literal.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

That';s also because the Mayweather style is 100000 PCT wrong for Hatton...defensive skills can be taught but to pattern one fighter after another isnt usually the right approach...there's a very good rreason why every fighter in the world doesnt just fight like Mayweather and win all their fights

Comment

i agree. with that said, i never thought roach was a good trainer for a guy like khan. hes wasting a good portion of his talent and hes pretty one dimensional. u figure out how to get past his speed and make him backpedal, and hes in the deep end.

Comment

Working...
                    X