No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Team Puerto Rico Unite, Visit Wilfred Benitez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Photos: Team Puerto Rico Unite, Visit Wilfred Benitez

San Juan, Puerto Rico - The boxers of Team Puerto Rico visited his home of a former champion who brought boxing glory to Puerto Rico and the world, Wilfred Benitez, who was made the Honorary Captain of the team and given a donation of $2,000. In an atmosphere of camaraderie and appreciation, Benitez agreed to meet with the members of Team Puerto Rico at his home, along with his sister Ivonne Benítez, his nephews and immediate family.

[Click Here To Read More]

Sucks to know Benitez is in bad shape. That was my fathers favorite boxer. I'm Happy the young boys went to show love. El Radar 4ever!!!!

Comment

Im mexican and it really saddens me to see Benitez in that shape. I wish that life had treated him better after he retired. He was one of thee most gifted fighters i have ever seen at avoiding punches and his reflexes were out of this world. He beat the great Roberto Duran fair and square and for a while he also gave the great Ray Leonard a good fight. Seeing how he dodged bomb after bomb while on the ropes against Hearns was just amazing. Sure, he lost some fights but that was to ATG's and he, just based on pure skill alone, is also an ATG in my book. In my opinion hes the best puerto rican fighter ive ever seen just based on ability not titles or multiple division champs because to me him beating Duran and giving Leonard fits speaks volumes of how great he was. It is really really sad for me to see him like this. If I was a rich millionaire boxer I swear i would give him 1 million bucks so he could get some medical help if he needs any or buy himself a big house, a nice car or whatever the hell he wants, just so he could live comfortably for the rest of his days. This is boricua boxing royalty and he shouldnt be in the condition hes in. I wish Tito and Cotto and the rest of the wealthy boxers would all pitch in just to take care of this guy.

Stand up "El Radar" you were one of the great ones!

Comment

Originally posted by PunchesNbuncheS View Post
        Im mexican and it really saddens me to see Benitez in that shape. I wish that life had treated him better after he retired. He was one of thee most gifted fighters i have ever seen at avoiding punches and his reflexes were out of this world. He beat the great Roberto Duran fair and square and for a while he also gave the great Ray Leonard a good fight. Seeing how he dodged bomb after bomb while on the ropes against Hearns was just amazing. Sure, he lost some fights but that was to ATG's and he, just based on pure skill alone, is also an ATG in my book. In my opinion hes the best puerto rican fighter ive ever seen just based on ability not titles or multiple division champs because to me him beating Duran and giving Leonard fits speaks volumes of how great he was. It is really really sad for me to see him like this. If I was a rich millionaire boxer I swear i would give him 1 million bucks so he could get some medical help if he needs any or buy himself a big house, a nice car or whatever the hell he wants, just so he could live comfortably for the rest of his days. This is boricua boxing royalty and he shouldnt be in the condition hes in. I wish Tito and Cotto and the rest of the wealthy boxers would all pitch in just to take care of this guy.

Stand up "El Radar" you were one of the great ones!

Kudos to you little homey, it's good to see people recognize REAL talent despite where they are from.

Comment

Thanks little homie. Ive always been like that, i dont care if youre rican and im mexican or black or whatever I have respect and like all people I dont care were youre from.

BTW Maribel Guardia is fuc&ing banging hot, good choice!

Comment

benitez

It is sad to see him this way. I have good memories of him running in the the beach in Pineones, P.R. when I was a kid along with my cousins. Whenever he trained for a fight in Carolina P.R., we would follow him around when we were kids. He will always be one of my favorite boxers.

Comment

Really sad to see Wilfred this way...but I'm glad some people are taking the time to show him some support. It couldn't have been very encouraging for those young fighters to see an ATG that way. A couple must've been wondering if they've chosen the right sport. It's yet another warning to know when to get out and be careful with your earnings. Good luck, Wilfredo....
              Last edited by CubanGuyNYC; 05-30-2011, 05:32 PM.

Comment

its always sad to see any great fighter end up in bad shape

Comment

It's more sad that they're using him for public relations purposes, they'll give him a check, get a ton of pub for it and then forget about him.

It's even more sad that two PR boxers that have made so many millions like Tito and Cotto have done **** for him, that's really a disgrace, shame on both of them.

Comment

man i got to be honest this got a little teared eyed.that's one of puerto rico's finest ever right there.really sad to see him like that.

y que viva Puerto Rico!!!also those boxers right there will keep boxing's biggest rivalry alive.Mexico-puerto rico

Comment

Working...
                    X