No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Smoke, Guns, Magic: Mr. ‘War-a-Week’ Back in Sactown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Smoke, Guns, Magic: Mr. ‘War-a-Week’ Back in Sactown

By Ryan Maquiñana - The man chiefly responsible for Sacramento’s rise as a boxing hotbed 50 years ago has returned in hopes of sparking its renaissance.

“So many memories here,” Don Chargin said. “I’ve been getting calls from old friends asking to buy rows of seats. I’m really excited to be back.”

When news spread that the Hall of Famer would co-promote a 10-bout show at the Memorial Auditorium downtown—his first at the venue in a decade—a feeling of nostalgia permeated the air as the voices of yesteryear recalled the glory days.

“I remember it being so dark except for the lights on the ring, like a spotlight,” said former three-time world champion Tony Lopez. “Back then you could smoke cigarettes indoors, too. You can see it surrounding the ring like a big smoke bomb.”

With massive columns propping up an edifice resembling a courthouse more than a hallowed fistic theater, the Memorial was a place where a fighter’s legitimacy would ultimately be determined by an unforgiving jury of knowledgeable—and often belligerent—spectators. [Click Here To Read More]
Working...
X