Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a return to same day weigh ins make boxing much better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
    15 rounders stopped after the Mancini-Kim fight, although you can argue ONE of the main reasons was so that TV stations could nicely fit a 12 round fight in an hour slot (whereas 15 rounds went over). But this change occurred after the death of Kim and that's what prompted the rule change.

While I agree it's dangerous for fighters who rehydrate so much weight fighting smaller guys, etc., but I don't think it's even debatable that a dehydrated fighter is at more risk of serious injury, I believe this is scientific fact.

I think the combination of having SO MANY WEIGHT CLASSES is more of an issue. A true 160 pound fighter can easily just cut a few more pounds and fight at 154, etc., then blow up 15-20 pounds.

If we had the original 8 weight classes, or say 10, this wouldn't be as big of a problem.
    I think that same day weigh ins encourage fighters to fight closer to their natural weight while day before encourages them to dehydrate themselves then rehydrate after. I agree with the rest, I'd like to see it with just the original 8.

Comment

IIRC, the rounds switch from 15-12 had to do more with the networks than actual ring fatalities...although, im sure that had some underlying influence as well

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
        I think that same day weigh ins encourage fighters to fight closer to their natural weight while day before encourages them to dehydrate themselves then rehydrate after. I agree with the rest, I'd like to see it with just the original 8.
        yes, a lot of a fighters would fight closer to their actual weight but everyone would still be cutting weight.

It's basically a double edged sword, either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedication View Post
          I think a return to same day weigh ins will help divide the best from the worst boxers. It be a very good indicator to say the least. Too many fighters are getting advantages in weight, without them they'd be nothing.

Would Castillo have been able to hang with Mayweather Jr for twelve rounds if weigh ins were on the same day? Look what happened when Jose moved up to 147.

Would Cotto, Clottey and Margarito been able to see twelve rounds with Pac? Or would they have quit like Oscar De La Hoya.

I think a return to same day weigh ins would bring about a more elite sect of boxers.

What do you think?

Also not too sure why this was stopped so if someone could enlighten me that'd be greatly appreciated.
          Well if they had weigh-in's on fight night, those matches would've NEVER happened in the first place.

Comment

Working...
          X