No announcement yet.

Best Smallest 16oz Sparring Gloves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JesseH View Post
    One thing that would make sense is the shape of the glove, since it would allow it to "cut" through the air easier, right?
    exactly, it's air speed velocity is very comparable to an african swallows when carrying a coconut...........Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 02-16-2013, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      My reply to the 'comical part' was to The Authoritie.

I would never let anybody spar me with 14ozers. 16 or go home. 18-20ozers are just too big and slow down your rythme. If a sparring partner wanted to wear 18-20ozers though I would have no problem with that...... Rockin'
      Nothing comical about my post - Like I said, I was asking for opinions because I know everyone I have spoke to in the boxing world disagree's with my experience. My experience is real though, I can tell the difference and I prefer to be hit by the 12 oz'ers in this case (due to design of gloves)

However, I have done some research and it seems there have been studies done on this. Which do seem to back up my theory (not conclusively).

Google:

INFLUENCES OF THE MASS OF BOXING GLOVES ON THE IMPACT FORCE OF A REAR HAND STRAIGHT PUNCH

Also, after doing a bit more thinking, it's clear that my experience is down to the design of this lads gloves (he's had about 5-6 different brands over the past few years). He tends to buy gloves that have little padding in the knuckle area. They are always 16 oz and say sparring gloves but for me sparring gloves should have extra padding in the knuckle area. Now he is using my son's 12 oz "proper" sparring gloves his power definitely doesn't feel the same - Fact. Like I say, I have done literally several hundred rounds with this lad and I can tell the difference.

Basically, most people seem to think that as long as the gloves are called "sparring" gloves and say 16 oz then they are acceptable and superior to lighter gloves.

This is not the case at all. I use 14 oz Top-ten and these really take the sting out punches. They are proper sparring gloves.

http://shop.topten-italia.com/en/kic...ing-gloves/391

These gloves in 10 / 12 oz would offer better protection for the sparring partner than MANY 16 oz so called sparring gloves.

Comment

So are the ringside IMF tech gloves the overall consensus? I have smaller hands too by the way. I'd consider myself to be very conditioned, so it's not really the weight as I've mentioned, it's just the clunkiness. I can't remember which gloves my gym let me use but they were pretty worn and I don't think they'd be considered "high end".

The two brands I see mentioned most would be Ringside and Rival. I wish I could just afford to buy a pair of Winnings but that's not possible right now.

Comment

Everlast pro tex are good there well padded but don't feel heavy

Comment

At the gym where I train they say I have to buy new gloves because my 14 oz are to light and hard to spar againt someone else???

I blame it on my power, haha.

What do you guys think you should have at least for oz?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              I have to disagree somewhat.. When you buy gloves, there are bag gloves and sparring gloves right?

If you feel the bag gloves, they are more condense in the padding, harder at the point of impact. Reason being is because they are made to protect the hand, not the bag.

Sparring gloves are bigger and heavier yes, but they are soft at the point of impact. They are made to not cut you and so you don't feel the knuckles through the glove.

I would never let someone spar with 12oz gloves in my gym, simply because your hands are incredibly light and you can feel the knuckles through the glove and we don't want to get more cuts than we already get.

There's a reason every gym in the world spars with bigger gloves, yes they are heavier and I might agree with you they cause more concussive force but the smaller gloves are more dangerous because of the raw impact of the knuckles through the gloves.

I was recently sent a memo by USA boxing that they are considering getting rid of headgear because they found it causes more concussions in tests they have done. So I do think you have a point but again, I'm more concerned with cuts and force of impact with the knuckles.
              I've heard about this argument against the perceived safety of the headgear. The argument is that the headgear acts like "lever" in that it protrudes out and more susceptible to a punch moving that lever or catching it. In my experience the headgear kind of obstructs your peripheral vision and it's easier to hit someone wearing the head gear.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                I've heard about this argument against the perceived safety of the headgear. The argument is that the headgear acts like "lever" in that it protrudes out and more susceptible to a punch moving that lever or catching it. In my experience the headgear kind of obstructs your peripheral vision and it's easier to hit someone wearing the head gear.
                if they get rid of the headgear we are going to see alot of cuts and welts on our boys faces, that's not good for the sport. Epecialy with the newer kids, they bump heads/faces quite abit. Heck, as an amateur referee I would have to stop a bout because of a bloody nose if it was making too much of a mess.

I say that they should make it where you wear headgear until you are an open fighter. Jrs, Senior novice all wear headgear. Open fighters no headgear.

true competition headgears are much less bulky, I never had trouble seeing out of them.

did you get my pm BostonGuy? .............Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinS View Post
                  At the gym where I train they say I have to buy new gloves because my 14 oz are to light and hard to spar againt someone else???

I blame it on my power, haha.

What do you guys think you should have at least for oz?
                  Wouldn't it make more sense to ask your gym coach.

Comment

I asked him but he didn't seem to care about it.

The other guys against who I spar start to cry about my gloves...

Comment

so should i just go with the IMF tech sparring gloves?

Comment

Working...
                      X