No announcement yet.

doubling up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doubling up

I'm looking to put some flavor into my game and wanted to start doubling up or levering as some people call it on my punches. Ex 2 cross in a row or 2 lead hooks....I know pacman throws his double lead left a lot but his speed is what really let's him get away with it.

Any other fighters known for doing this? Any videos or general tips for this?

Double lead hooks? Unless you have Roy Jones type athleticism/speed, I'd suggest not trying it.

This thread also reminded me of Jack Lowe, "double the flippin' jab Kelly".

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Double lead hooks? Unless you have Roy Jones type athleticism/speed, I'd suggest not trying it.

This thread also reminded me of Jack Lowe, "double the flippin' jab Kelly".
      I agree to a degree.

Doubling the cross is fine. First cross you can throw with power, retract your arm about half way and then throw the second cross with speed.

The only way that would safe enough to double the lead hook is either:

1) Going to the head then body (vice versa)
      2) Hook > Duck > Hook
      3) If you have good speed and fast twitch muscles. Throw the first hook very short with speed not power, retract very slightly then follow up with a bigger hook. DON'T LOAD UP with either. It should all be like one motion.

Comment

I suggest you only double up the jab. Why try to be uber fancy? Go with what works, you'll get hit less. Why form a habit that will create more opportunities for opponents to strike? It's silly. Doubling up is a recipe for destruction unless we're talking about the jab.

Even a left hook to the body and then upstairs isn't exactly a smart combination in terms of thinking about yourself. Then again I'm a very tall guy with a power jab, so a short pressure guy would see this differently.

Comment

Working...
        X