No announcement yet.

Quad Cramps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad Cramps

Had my first training sessions tonight. Challenging, but rewarding. Can't wait to hit the bags!

Anyway, after about 5-10 minutes of jump rope - right after I was done, my quads began to cramp up. I stretched them out and did some ab exercises that involved leg raises, and they continued to cramp up on and off.

So my question is what I can do to prevent these cramps? How much water should I be drinking (I am 5 foot 9 and weigh 155 pounds)? Anything besides bananas and potassium tablets?

I won't let these cramps stop me from boxing, but it just sucks to not be able to do the exercises to the fullest of my ability.

welcome to boxing, thier will always be something hurting...

IMO

Comment

True that. Guess I'll just drink more water and stretch more. Thanks, danny.

Comment

You need to stretch your quads. Actually, you need to stretch everything. Google "quadriceps stretch" and you should get some exercises.

Water will help. Drink until you're not thirsty. Drink throughout your workout. I take a gallon of water with me to a 90-minute workout and I'm usually halfway through the gallon, or more, by the end. I weigh 165-170.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
          You need to stretch your quads. Actually, you need to stretch everything. Google "quadriceps stretch" and you should get some exercises.

Water will help. Drink until you're not thirsty. Drink throughout your workout. I take a gallon of water with me to a 90-minute workout and I'm usually halfway through the gallon, or more, by the end. I weigh 165-170.
          OK, thank you fraidycat. I did some stretching before I went to the gym, but at this rate, I'm thinking I need to do about 5-6 sets of stretching exercises a day.

Comment

you stretch it out for sure but all i am saying that pain is something that goes hand and hand with this sport. Wait til you start hitting the bag for an hour...

muahahha

Its all good dude, great sport!

Comment

Definitely. After tonight, my respect for the sport and for all boxers has gone up ten fold. Most intense, demanding, and yet the most rewarding sport out there. Shame I didn't start sooner...

Comment

i know this sounds crazy, but cramps are caused by an inbalance of water and sodium in the body, meaning that if you have too much water and not enough salt, you could still be getting cramps. one thing the athletic trainers do at my school is give a pack of mustard or a little bit of pickle juice. water is good, but if your drinking a lot of water and still having those cramps it may be a lack of salt in your diet thats causing the cramps.

and stretching is always good. also, with icing the quads, make sure that your knee is bent, and not straight or close to straight, or the icing will be counterproductive and make it stiffer

Comment

Working...
                X