No announcement yet.

Kevin Mitchell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Mitchell

I've heard he's left Jimmy Tibbs & joined up with Adam Booth.

Whether this is a good move or not I do not know. Kevin certainly has the talent but is he tough enough (mentally or physically)? Maybe Booth can install something in him.

He definitely needs to fight more often. He's only fought 3 times since the Katsidis bout & that was almost three years ago. I'd love for him to fight three times before the end of the year.

I plan on going back to the UK (only been back twice this millennium) for West Ham's first game at the Olympic stadium - hopefully he'll have a bout the the same week

I've been disappointed with Kevin Mitchell , I really thought he was going to be a world champion even after the katsidis fight . I don't think any trainer can help him now he's missed his chance . To even have a chance of any success in the remainder of his career I think a move back down to super feather is the way to go he's not quite big enough IMO to beat the top boys at lw . I know he done Prescott and Murray but kats and burns were to big and too strong for him . If I were him if go the euro belt route and try get a bit of money defending that a few times to try and secure myself a bit . I think it's about 36k a defence usually, 3 or 4 of those will pay half the mortgage off . Good luck to him though

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesv3 View Post
      I've been disappointed with Kevin Mitchell , I really thought he was going to be a world champion even after the katsidis fight . ...................kats and burns were to big and too strong for him.
      Alright James,

I thought the same too. I actually thought Burns was going to come on strong in the latter half of the fight to win a close bout. I did not expect that blowout.

But I disagree about Katsidis. I don't think you can put that loss purely down to size & strength. Maybe mental strength but Mitchell was just not 'being' a boxer back then.

Comment

Maybe your right I suppose murray and Prescott are big strong lightweights too , what do u think his best way forward is ? Who would you like to see him in with after a tune up ?

Comment

Booth seems to be busy adding new fighters to his camp right now...

.....which makes you wonder whether he knows something about Haye's future plans (or rather the lack of them) that we don't.

Adam was on record as saying he only wanted to work with Haye and Groves but now he's added Mitchell, Lee and a couple of youngsters to the gym.

Kevin's a real enigma in my opinion; world class when it suits him and then loses fights he should be winning.

Not sure whether KM will rebound - even with Booth's proven tactical and technical skills behind him - after that loss to Burns. Getting bullied and stopped like that, when you are supposed to be the hitter/enforcer, is not good news and must damage your confidence.

Good luck to Kevin....but I think he is on the way down.

Comment

He is frustrating cause it does seem like he's a world beater if he wants to be , but the two times he should of really wanted it he's flopped . By the way it said in the boxing news that Adam booth had to many fighters and recommended he trained with Gary logan wich he has decided to do . Also he got his mum to ring tibbs wich is a bit of a piss take he should f at least done that himself

Comment

I really dont rate booth as a trainer what so ever. The only reason haye got to where he was is because of his huge punching power and natural athleticism. Both Haye and groves have TERRIBLE defence and balence, basic stuff pro fighters should have.

Since then booth has added Andy lee and selchuk aldyin to his rooster and both looked poor since being with him.

The only plus to booth is his tactical thinking. Ie, the way Groves came out and stuck behind the jab against Degale for the win. Even then it was razor thin and some people think chunky should have won.

Comment

Originally posted by No1 View Post
                I really dont rate booth as a trainer what so ever. The only reason haye got to where he was is because of his huge punching power and natural athleticism. Both Haye and groves have TERRIBLE defence and balence, basic stuff pro fighters should have.

Since then booth has added Andy lee and selchuk aldyin to his rooster and both looked poor since being with him.

The only plus to booth is his tactical thinking. Ie, the way Groves came out and stuck behind the jab against Degale for the win. Even then it was razor thin and some people think chunky should have won.
                I'm still undecided about Booth as a trainer. It's too early to comment based on Lee & Selchuk's one bout each. And Haye went the distance with Wlad so his defence isn't terrible although it could be better.

But Booth's strength is in installing some mental fortitude that maybe Kevin has been missing.

Comment

@No1....fair play for some decent and direct up-front comments about AB.

But Booth was with Haye when he was a kingpin, world-class cruiserweight as well and Haye's record was more than decent at this level. So its not just a case of a win over Valuev or those blowouts against Ruiz or Harrison that needs to be taken into consideration at this point.

I also think he is doing a good job with Groves, who looked very calm and composed against Johnson and their tactics were dead-right against James.

AB is not the second coming of Emmanuel Steward or even Teddy Atlas....but he's definitely getting there and the fact that he's adding more fighters to his stable suggests that is serious about a long-term career as a champion-maker.

Comment

Working...
                  X