Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you sum up Nino Benvenuti's career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
    Why?

I'm not defending Benvenuti and perhaps it's because I'm more familiar with that era, but what does Loi have that easily secures his position at #1?
    Not much other than beating Carlos Ortiz twice.

Comment

I guess Benvenuti doesn't really have much either, the Italians can have Calzaghe if they want.

You seen Loi-Ortiz, Dan?

Comment

I guess Benvenuti doesn't really have much either, the Italians can have Calzaghe if they want.

You seen Loi-Ortiz, Dan?
        Seen the 2nd fight and highlights of the other two.

Have you?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          He was actually born in Slovenia.

And IMO Loi ranks well ahead of him anyways.

My favorite fight of Benvenuti's was against a Korean guy... can"t remember for the life of me what the name was.
          Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Ha. Long ago an Italian-American fan told me Nino was the best Italian born so I just assumed that it was true. But I never knew that John McCain was born in Panama either.
          You guys are both right. The Istria area was Italy in 1938 and is now divided between Slovenia and Croatia.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Seen the 2nd fight and highlights of the other two.

Have you?
            No, just wondering if Loi actually beat Ortiz in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Not much other than beating Carlos Ortiz twice.
              If that was the only thing he had, it would be offset by Nino having two wins against Griffith, no?

I think Loi was also more consistent than Benvenuti throughout his career, which is why I would rank him as #1.

Then again, Benvenuti was a 2 division champion, while Loi competed in a jr. division, which in the past were seen a bit as cinderella divisions, and attracted less competition [For a long while 140 only had european and southamerican champions!]

I think it is close. I have Loi as #1, but I can also see the case for Benvenuti...

On an interesting note, some people in Italy would swear Bruno Arcari is the best Italian born boxer ever, who also defended a 140 belt for some years.

Comment

No, just wondering if Loi actually beat Ortiz in Italy.

All 3 were close fights, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Ha. Long ago an Italian-American fan told me Nino was the best Italian born so I just assumed that it was true. But I never knew that John McCain was born in Panama either.
                  Technically McCain was born on American soil.

0bama, on the other hand...

Comment

Most Italians consider Benvenuti the best or atleast the most popular! I handled fighters for Branchini in Italy during the early 80s so I know from spending time in Milian at the To Tip Boxing gym.
                    Loi is right there with him but Benvenuti at middleweight claims more clout than the smaller guys!
                    As for Calzaghe, you can keep him! He's a Brit! HA!! Ray.

Comment

Benvevuti

As I recall, very little attention was paid to the junior divisions in Benvenuti's
                      time. Benvenuti fought on the big stage....MSG.

Junior titles were given very little recognition.

Comment

Working...
                      X