No announcement yet.

New problem in sparring.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New problem in sparring.

So recently I been sparring a cruiser weight 155lb, every time I get in on him, he just pushes my head side ways which causes me to loose balance, and I can't put any power behind my punches. any way to counter this?

Originally posted by bbos View Post
    So recently I been sparring a cruiser weight 155lb, every time I get in on him, he just pushes my head side ways which causes me to loose balance, and I can't put any power behind my punches. any way to counter this?
    Roll under when he reaches, just side to side movement wont work when they are grabbing for your head, roll under and come up swingin'..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      Roll under when he reaches, just side to side movement wont work when they are grabbing for your head, roll under and come up swingin'..........Rockin'
      do u mean weave under? thats what i do sometimes, as I weave I come up with a left hook body then to head, but this guy has lanky ass arms and has 3-4 inches of reach on me.

Comment

Ya know if your 155 and sparring cruisers your just naturally at a disadvantage.

You might also try holding your gaurd very high, or atleast above his gaurd. When he reaches bring that hand down on the inside of his arm and roll it to the side. Hard to explain but hopefully you get the picture....Rockin'

Comment

do u mean weave under? thats what i do sometimes, as I weave I come up with a left hook body then to head, but this guy has lanky ass arms and has 3-4 inches of reach on me.
          gotta step in when you are rolling under and continue the steps when punching with a guy so lanky. Coordinate your hands with your feet and youll begin to see the light............Rockin'

Comment

Ya know if your 155 and sparring cruisers your just naturally at a disadvantage.

You might also try holding your gaurd very high, or atleast above his gaurd. When he reaches bring that hand down on the inside of his arm and roll it to the side. Hard to explain but hopefully you get the picture....Rockin'
            im not 155, im currently 140 and plan on fighting at 125. I spar people in higher weight classes all the time and this is a constant problem having a hard time getting in

Comment

im not 155, im currently 140 and plan on fighting at 125. I spar people in higher weight classes all the time and this is a constant problem having a hard time getting in
              I understand, I had the same trouble at the beginning. These guys are bigger and probably more experienced than you and are just kind of playing the cat and mouse game. With these guys you need to always be moving forward. You slip, you step with it. You punch you step with it. Its hard to articulate over the net but you just have to always be moving forward with them. Most guys will slip and then step. Step and slip at the same time and continue rolling in............Rockin'

Comment

also, if thats you in the picture I would not worry about getting to 125, especially if your 140 right now. Dont let the scales be your toughest opponent, come into the fights at a good strong weight for yourself. Dont kill yourself trying to drop weight like everyone else. They pay in the later rounds for their weight lose............Rockin'

Comment

I understand, I had the same trouble at the beginning. These guys are bigger and probably more experienced than you and are just kind of playing the cat and mouse game. With these guys you need to always be moving forward. You slip, you step with it. You punch you step with it. Its hard to articulate over the net but you just have to always be moving forward with them. Most guys will slip and then step. Step and slip at the same time and continue rolling in............Rockin'
                  i think thats my problem, i wait for the other guy to commit, i then either slip, parry or weave, then step in, i havent mastered the movement at the same time, its a different set of foot work to fight on the inside. sadly thats something my trainer never showed me, he was a pure outside boxing technician.

and they dont play cat and mouse game after i dropped them with a right hand to the mid section LOL

Comment

i think thats my problem, i wait for the other guy to commit, i then either slip, parry or weave, then step in, i havent mastered the movement at the same time, its a different set of foot work to fight on the inside. sadly thats something my trainer never showed me, he was a pure outside boxing technician.

and they dont play cat and mouse game after i dropped them with a right hand to the mid section LOL
                    your dropping cruiserweights at 140lbs? Well anyway, practice your footwork and youll find it. It just takes time, Im not sure how long youve been boxing but it all takes time and you will take some lumps trying to learn these things. Take the lumps and tell 'em youll see them tomorrow for some more.........Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X