No announcement yet.

All time greatest featherweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All time greatest featherweights

The most recent ranking of the feather weight division by the Ring Magazine had it like this:

1. Willie Pep
    2. Henry Armstrong
    3. Sandy Saddler
    4. Freddie Miller
    5. Kid Chocolate
    6. Johnny Kilbane
    7. Salvador Sanchez
    8. Alexis Arguello
    9. Eusebio Pedroza
    10.Johnny Dundee
    11.Terry McGovern
    12.George Dixon
    13.Vicente Saldivar
    14.Chalky Wright
    15.Azumah Nelson
    16 Petey Sarron
    17.Battling Battalino
    18.Jim Driscoll
    19.Abe Attell
    20.Baby Arizmendi

What do you guys think of this list?

Abe Attel seems low for one thing. Also seems Tony Canzoneri should be worth a top 20 ranking.

And where would the recent generation of JMM, Morales, Barrera, Hamed and Pac rank at featherweight?

I can't honestly say I take a whole lot of time to rank the "top 10" this, or the "top 20" that. Infact, I can count the number of "top" boxing lists I've made on one hand, and still have fingers left over.

That said, if I were to make a "top 20 featherweights" list, I would put Marquez, Barrera, Morales, and Pacquiao in the mix. They would be lower in the rankings, but in my opinion, all 4 of those guys are future hall of famers with records that earn them a nod.

Hamed? Ehh...I never really cared for the guy, infact, I couldn't stand him. Perhaps it's that disliking that blinds me to his "greatness", but I always failed to see what everybody else seemed to see in that guy. Granted he had a pretty damn good career, beat some good opposition, held some titles, and generated a ton of intrest in the sport.

But he avoided Morales, he avoided Marquez, then he thought he'd take advantage of an apparently shopworn Barrera, only to get embarassed and outboxed handily, and slink off to a quiet retirement. Memorable? Yes. One of the GOATS? Not in my book.

Comment

Sidenote : Abe Attell vs. Marco Antonio Barrera is a match made in dirty boxing heaven. Both guys were a lit fuse with short tempers, a habit for taking things personally, and a penchant for not giving a fuck about the rules.

Comment

I rank Armstrong as the GOAT at Featherweight.

I also think that Manny Pacquiao's best weight was at FW, and I'd sandwich him in between Chalky Wright and Azumah Nelson. Not a *******, but FW is really the only division he cleaned out even partially.

Comment

Saldivar is way too low. Imo.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            Saldivar is way too low. Imo.
            Definitely too low.

I have him Top 5.

Also I agree with TS that Attell is just ridiculously low.

Abe Attell #19 at Featherweight? That's just baffling. How anyone could have that ranking is beyond me.
            Last edited by IronDanHamza; 12-15-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              I rank Armstrong as the GOAT at Featherweight.

I also think that Manny Pacquiao's best weight was at FW, and I'd sandwich him in between Chalky Wright and Azumah Nelson. Not a *******, but FW is really the only division he cleaned out even partially.
              Armstrong achieved far more at lightweight and welter.

You can speculate that featherweight was his natural weight and so rank him number 1, but I don't see the need for this.

There were several ATG (Willie Pepp most noticeably) whose best weight was clearly featherweight, and whose featherweight resumes are deeper than Homicide Hank's.

Comment

Working...
              X